PDA

View Full Version : 200 s doesnt rev up

mck3
05-24-2004, 08:05 PM
I have an 83 200 s. I bought a used engine for it, the engine has lots of compression, but it doesnt rev up past about 3/4 engine speed or less.
I've tried swithching many parts from my other bike to solve the problem, because I know my other bike runs well. I switched the carb, coil, wire, throttle cable, adjusted the timing. any ideas?

mck3
05-24-2004, 08:25 PM
I forgot to mention that I am new to this web site I am still trying to figure out how to look up things on it. I also have a 185 s. It is in excellent condition and goes like stink.
does anyone know the laws regarding insurance for three wheelers here in ontario, Canada? I would like to take the 185 up north moose hunting with me but I heard you cannot insure them anymore Is this true?

threewheelin-feelin
05-24-2004, 10:07 PM
u can insure them they just wantr a arm and a lag tell um its a 4wheeler haha since they think there so safe

jeswinehart
05-24-2004, 10:10 PM
mck ,,, try cleaning out the baffle on the muffler ,,, it might just be a carboned up.

john

mck3
05-24-2004, 10:13 PM
Ive tried with no muffler just a straight pipe. didnt make any difference. Thanks anyways

atckowalski
05-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Did you try cleaning the air filter, or maybe your main jet is plugged or restricted.

everydaycajun01
05-24-2004, 11:24 PM
sounds like not the right jeting.and for the record a 83 200s???????

mck3
05-25-2004, 07:25 AM
I,m not shure if its an 83 or an 84. I think my 185 is an 83. Maybe the 200 s is an 84. Anyways, I tried the carb on another bike and it works fine. I cleaned the air filter.I'm actually starting to wonder if it is the timing.I adjusted it many differend ways where you take the cdi cover off and loosen the 2 screws and turn it. There must be another way to set the engine timing.But it starts easy and seems to run smoothly at SLOW speeds. Maybe I'll just keep tinkering with it before I take it to a shop.Still open for suggestions. Thanks.

JoeSuzuki
05-25-2004, 06:59 PM
Your right: I have an 83 200s and an 84 200es,,,,and they are both Big Reds. Try a carb kit for your revving problem. It might be your gas thats to old too. Try supreme.

smokinp
05-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Have you tryed cleaning your petcock out and gas tank?

packhamstruck
05-25-2004, 07:17 PM
Ya i would look at the gas flow, and maybe try a hotter spark plug

you ontario guys, any one need the electrical for a 185/200 it is off of a 82 i beleive, it is sitting in my shop and dont need it any more, let me know i also have a front rack and a few other parts

mck3
06-08-2004, 09:25 PM
can anyone tell me exactly how to set the timing without a light? what do I do once the piston is top dead? :I think timing might be the problem, even though it starts okay and runs smooth at low speeeds.I'm running out of options. Any Ideas?

hondaATCman
06-09-2004, 01:42 AM
It sounds like the timing to me. If it is one tooth off one way, I think advanced myabe?? it will run ok at low RPM's but if its one tooth off the other way, it won't idle or run good at low RPM's. If its more than one tooth off, it shouldn't run at all if it does it would be very sloppy in all RPM ranges. To check the timing, take off the cam cover, put it on TDC (top dead center) and look at where the mark is on the cam sprocket, it should line up with the mark on the cylinder head if its in time, if its not lined up then its out.

mck3
06-10-2004, 08:45 AM
It sounds like the timing to me. If it is one tooth off one way, I think advanced myabe?? it will run ok at low RPM's but if its one tooth off the other way, it won't idle or run good at low RPM's. If its more than one tooth off, it shouldn't run at all if it does it would be very sloppy in all RPM ranges. To check the timing, take off the cam cover, put it on TDC (top dead center) and look at where the mark is on the cam sprocket, it should line up with the mark on the cylinder head if its in time, if its not lined up then its out.

Thanks honda atc man! I will try that as soon as I get a chance to work on it agian. I have a feeling that will solve the prob because what else could it be, you know? Today I bought a 97 polaris trail boss mostly for my wife to drive because she loves driving the 3 wheelers but she kinda scares me because she cant really handle them very well and has trouble shifting gears.The polaris is automatic and of course not as fast as the three wheelers.mint bike though.cheap enough from a friend at 2500. (canadian)Thanks for the timing info, its the best helpo ive had yet :beer