PDA

View Full Version : Insurance for 3wheelers

leprogle
05-24-2004, 03:44 PM
I have an 83 185s that I payed 106 dollars for a year of basic coverage, which is now required by law in New Brunswick. My dad recently bought an 84 200 big red, and when he went to the same insurance company, they told him that 3 wheelers are a high risk machine, and are given the same rates as as an equal sized motorcycle. He payed 345 dollars for the same basic coverage that I got for mine. He asked about mine, and they told him they thought mine was a four wheeler, and when i go to renew my trike, they will be giving me a higher rate.
I don't know how they thought a 1983 atc185s was a 4 wheeler, but ok.
does anybody have any suggestions as to what I could do or say that might make them lower their rates. those are ridiculous rates, seeing as how when I put my 185 motor into my costly restored 200x frame, I'm going to want theft on it. I'm going to look around and see if any other companies are cheaper, but I don't think they are.
my dad tried an ontario insurance company, and they said they can't insure them because they are illegal. :rolleyes:

Bumb
05-24-2004, 04:03 PM
I pay like 80$ a year for mine for basic just paid it and it says what it is on the card. just not that its a 3 wheeler. but still they should not raise trailprotrailpro rate just cuse they found out it was a 3 wheeler and was there mistake that they did not look to see what it was.

thehickfarmer
05-24-2004, 04:06 PM
i live here in ontario, and they won't even insure me, i think i need to keep looking

deathman53
05-24-2004, 06:41 PM
I'm paying about $200 for my trike, first year was $300. yes, your price is a bit high, but trikes aren't gonna be cheap.

twgranger
05-24-2004, 06:53 PM
I paid $60 for a year for my z.

markdb420
05-24-2004, 08:58 PM
Virginia Farm Bureau for my ATC 250r is $80 and thats full coverage on an auto policy. It is the exact same for my 400ex and my 350x.

NICKG
05-24-2004, 11:08 PM
you guys are lucky...they won't insure them in nj and the best part is that insurance is mandatory on all atv's!

Seabass
05-25-2004, 09:52 AM
I live in Southern Ontario and pay $295 a year for everything. I have an '85 Big Red. My agent told me it's all about cc's - the bigger the motor the more you'll pay. i have to see him soon - I will ask him if he wants more 3 wheeler business...if he does i'll post some info.

ScottZJ
05-25-2004, 10:17 AM
I pay 65$ a year for any and all my atv's. I just have to include the Vin# and kind when I add a new one. I guess my insurance figures I can only ride one at a time! LOL :D

packhamstruck
05-25-2004, 06:41 PM
I live in Southern Ontario and pay $295 a year for everything. I have an '85 Big Red. My agent told me it's all about cc's - the bigger the motor the more you'll pay. i have to see him soon - I will ask him if he wants more 3 wheeler business...if he does i'll post some info.

Let me know what your insurance company is, I am in ontario and for 1 out of 3 of my 350x's it was 1100 a year, so i didn;t bother with that, my insurance where all my sleds and quads are wont cover a trike.

tmlman
08-23-2004, 02:16 AM
I'm trying to get insurance for my converted YT175K ATC through Primmum Insurance (Ontario). I was told that they have really good rates but I don't personally know for sure cus I'm waiting to hear back from them.(No online or over-the-phone quotes.) RBC Insurance gave me an excellent quote($110 for basic liability), but when they found out about my dads speeding tickets(who I'm not even living with :P), they upped it over $300. F$c#in insurance companies!!!

packhamstruck
08-23-2004, 08:35 AM
Are you sure they know its a 3 wheeler, because through TD insurance you can get sleds and quads for about 100 bucks a year but a trike is through the roof, i just keep mine locked up twice now, and when the last cop pulled me over and ask if i had insurance i told him when he finds a insurance company who will insure me let me know and i will get it, then he let me go.

GTackett
08-23-2004, 11:17 AM
This is an interesting topic. I live in Indiana (USA), and our county recently legalized the use of ATVs on county roads given the proper registration, which I believe requires some type of insurance. I have a ATC250SX that I inherited from a friend who passed away. I'd like to be able to legally ride on the roads in the winter time when we have 4 or 5" of snow. This would hardly be worth paying $300 per year for insurance.

TTribaLL
08-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Insurance? Registration? I have no need to do either, the cops just wave to you(I see like 2 cops a year). Anyways If they were to pull me over they would have to drive like the Dukes of Hazzard boys(and girl) to even stay on my tail.

MTS
08-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Insurance? Registration? I have no need to do either, the cops just wave to you(I see like 2 cops a year). Anyways If they were to pull me over they would have to drive like the Dukes of Hazzard boys(and girl) to even stay on my tail.
me too..theres just to many farmers around hear lol they let us drive the 02 sportsman 500 on the side of the secondayry highway if whrtr doin under 40 :P and i dont me in the ditch i mean on the shoulder LOL :TrikesOwn

Wickedfinger
08-24-2004, 11:08 PM
I use Markle/ATVline. My '00 Scrammy is only $50 per year.