PDA

View Full Version : 3wheels to 4wheels ????

tim wegman
05-20-2004, 01:11 AM
has anyone out there seen or now of the three wheel conversion kit that makes it a 4wheeler for the 83 250r i seen a bike on ebay with this and a friend told me they make them but whare would i pick one up?????

FireHead
05-20-2004, 01:21 AM
I don't think that they make them any more. Atleast none that I'm aware of.

Lots_Of_Nothing
05-20-2004, 01:38 AM
do a search on the boards, this topic has been gone over about 500 times now.

Beer_Smurf
05-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Ok.
This is a bad Idea.
These kits are an abomination.
Even if you could still buy the kit, and you can't, it would cost more than you want to spend.
Don't abuse the R.
Sell it and buy a nice blaster with a 240 kit.

trikerider2oo7
05-20-2004, 04:04 PM
dont do it...quads suck...trikes are better

hondatrikesrule22
05-20-2004, 04:23 PM
No sir, quads do not "suck".I have ridden dirtbikes, 3-wheelers and quads,and between the trike and the quad, there is not much difference.You all can say that they "suck, but most of you are putting the trikes in the shed and buying yfz 450s, and Raptors.Alot of you talk about how the ATV companys should start building 3-wheelers again.But let me ask you this,if they did, how many of us would buy them? I think alot of us can't afford new quads,and you ride trikes because they are cheap. I know thats why I ride them.Anyways, It would be easier to fing one with the kit already on it. Believe it or not,it will actually boost the bikes value some, since there are not too many of those kits around. Sorry to ramble. thanx

86250RZ
05-20-2004, 05:36 PM
Hondatrikesrule, I hate to be the one to tell you but there are people on this board just like me who can easily afford a quad and choose not to, unless its a 4X4, thats the only big advantage a quad has over a 3 wheeler to me, I own a $30,000 2001 Chevy thats paid for and many other toys , I own a customwheels buisness also so money is not the problem at all. If I want to just go out and ride hard for fun I'll take a trike any day of the week. My bro bought a 500 Pred. and he likes it but he is kicking his self in the rear for selling his R, he said the R was just more fun to ride. I do agree with you about quads not sucking they are good for certain situations I just prefer a good sport trike over a quad. Now I have not rode one of the new 450's and who knows maybe that would change my mind, but after ridding my bro's Pred. I would not trade him my R for it even if he offered money and his quad, thats the honest to gods truth. I love sport trikes thats all I can say. Saying we ride them because we are poor is B.S. in my case(and many others im sure) and a putdown to trikes. :TrikesOwn

P.S. If they were to come out with a bad arse sport trike tomorrow I promiss you I would be there as soon as the doors opened. I would shut the doors that day at my shop if that was the only way for me to be there when the doors open, I would do that for no quad made, thats just how big of a 3 wheeler enthusiast I am.

everydaycajun01
05-20-2004, 06:07 PM
4 wheels will never rule! my 250r 1986 EASYLY takes raptors.and with such easy financeing who cant buy a 4 wheeler.as for mud my 250sx HAS put many 4 wheels back to dry land many,many many .no skill to ride 4 wheelers.

FireHead
05-20-2004, 06:20 PM
I agree with the previous two posts. I would prefer a trike over a quad any day. I could cash out any quad I wanted, but I prefer to ride trikes and build my own from parts rather than buy them used. I have ridden the new 450's and they do not require as much skill to ride fast. I would not trade anything I own for one of those. Now, they are certainly well engineered bikes and fine machines in their own right, it just comes down to a personal preference to me.

THe fact of the matter is it all winds up being a personal preference for every one. I'd rather ride a three wheeler any day, but I'm not one of those people who drops a Banshee motor in his R to keep up. I would just assume build up my R to beat a Banshee, as the R is almost 100 lbs. lighter. If it came down to the fact that my R just couldn't go any faster, then I would buy a, Banshee. The other thing people have to realize here is, that very few people on here are professional racers who can ride there bike as fast as it was engineered to go. If people are still looking for a challenge, learn how to ride what you have it will always be more rewarding in the end.

atcmatt
05-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Once you hop onto a trike it makes you partial to them. You just cant own a quad anymore. I bought a trike cause i couldent afford a quad but i love the trike and have put heaps of money into it. I would never trade my trike for a quad. The yare just more fun and nicer to ride.

Matt

JoeSuzuki
05-20-2004, 07:00 PM
Just like the last 4 post, I own enough to prove i can afford a 4 wheeler, money is not an issue here, I have trikes becoz I like the ride. And I would also reserve a brand new trike if they were available.

hondatrikesrule22
05-20-2004, 07:24 PM
I wasn't trying to hurt feelings or nothing, but this is just some of the stuff that people have posted before.I love 3 wheelers, but have always wanted a new quad.I am actually thinking about getting a blaster finaced. ;) I am sorry if I offened anyone. :beer :D

One more thing,I think alot of people under estimate the Banshee and Raptors.They are making 770 kits and all sorts of aftermarket parts.They can be made into the meanest machines around. ;)

86250RZ
05-20-2004, 07:51 PM
I know what your saying and it's true, yes the banshee and raptor are fast and can be made into monsters but that has nothing to do with it atleast not in my case, they are just not as fun to ride plain and simple. IMO

If you have ever ridden any of the last 2 stroke trikes that were still in awsome shape and I dont mean looks awsome but still performs like new, like the suspension the engine and so on you would understand were im coming from, both my bro and Nephew have owned 85 and 86 R's and they both looked real good and fit but after ridding mine I could feel all the worn parts vs mine like slightly bent foot pegs, worn out rear shocks, blown front forks, there was just no comparison. Im not trying to bragg but my R runs and rides like a new one no flaws what so ever performance wise and if anyone on here owns a late model 2 stroke you are welcome to come down try mine out and you will agree this trike is in tip top shape from top to bottom.

TimSr
05-20-2004, 09:35 PM
THIS IS NOT A 3 VS 4 DEBATE!!!!! The guy asks a simple question. Why not give him a simple answer that is useful?

Tim Wegman - Somebody has said these kits are still available, I dont remember the price, but it was somewhere around $1400-$1600. Fact is it makes no sense to do a conversion today because for the value of your trike coupled with the cost of the kit, you could easily buy a TRX250R which will have a far superior front end to a conversion.

everydaycajun01
05-20-2004, 09:49 PM
And the sad part,everybodys right

200xalltheway
05-20-2004, 10:57 PM
dont do it...quads suck...trikes are better

I agree!!!!

Beer_Smurf
05-20-2004, 11:42 PM
The quad vs three wheeler argument is kinda silly if you ask me.
Motorcycles, three wheelers and quads are all fun and all differant.
They all have advantages in differant situations.
Went for a long ride on my KFX400 this weekend with my buddy on his Tri-Z.
We are pretty well matched in skill.
It was really neat to see how differant terrain gave either the three wheeler or the quad an advantage.
He had a definite advantage in some of the narrow forest trails and I could really get away on the downhills but the rest was all pretty close.
Then just this morning I had a great ride to work on my motorcycle.

The guys are right, 3 to 4 conversions don't make financial sense so keep it a Trike or sell it.
But
Whatever it is, go ride it and have fun.

C W.
05-21-2004, 01:05 AM
I dont know.And note to the other dude.I will ride a banshee till it breaks I mean eat that sucker.but my 86 atc R will break and eat me first thats why i love it. :)

FireHead
05-21-2004, 01:36 AM
I dont know.And note to the other dude.I will ride a banshee till it breaks I mean eat that sucker.but my 86 atc R will break and eat me first thats why i love it. :)

That was confusing to say the least. :D

eh_tee_see
05-21-2004, 02:21 AM
you know, I used to loove 4 wheelers. to our first two wheel drive 300 to the rancher i thought they were awesome. then my sis got a 300ex and i rode taht all the time. then i fixed a honda 110 for a guy and couldnt stop riding it; it was sooo much fun, i gave up the 300ex and sold it and bought the 110 :D

TimSr
05-21-2004, 08:47 AM
The quad vs three wheeler argument is kinda silly if you ask me.
Motorcycles, three wheelers and quads are all fun and all differant.
They all have advantages in differant situations.
Went for a long ride on my KFX400 this weekend with my buddy on his Tri-Z.
We are pretty well matched in skill.
It was really neat to see how differant terrain gave either the three wheeler or the quad an advantage.
He had a definite advantage in some of the narrow forest trails and I could really get away on the downhills but the rest was all pretty close.
Then just this morning I had a great ride to work on my motorcycle.

The guys are right, 3 to 4 conversions don't make financial sense so keep it a Trike or sell it.
But
Whatever it is, go ride it and have fun.

Exactly! When you've mastered (not just ridden) all 3 under a wide variety of terrain, conditions, and circumstances, its easy to spot ignorance or lack of experience in comments dissing one ride, or claiming superiority of another. Its sad so many armchair racers never get off a flat stretch of pavement long enough to experince the real advatages and shortcomings each machine has to offer.

86250RZ
05-21-2004, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=TimSr]THIS IS NOT A 3 VS 4 DEBATE!!!!! The guy asks a simple question. Why not give him a simple answer that is useful?

My debate had nothing to do with the differences in a Quad vs 3 wheeler. My first response was to hondatrikesrule22 saying we only ride 3 wheelers because we cant afford a quad which I responded saying that was B.S. and he also stated that we wouldnt buy a new 3 wheeler if they were to make one today and I stated that I would be there when the doors opened and I explained why I like 3 vs 4. I also said quads were NOT junk, they all have thier purpose. I just prefer my 250R to anything out there right now. Last but not least I also said I havent tried one of the new breed 450's and they might would change my mind. I rode my bro's 500 Pred. and I still would not trade my R for it. I guess you could call me a throw back if ya like I just love my 250R

tim wegman
05-23-2004, 12:42 PM
thank you guys for all the info
i was just curious cus i seen one on ebay
i admit i am new to three wheeling and just got my firt one or i should say my first two
i got an 81 and rode it for one day snaped the frame so my bud had an 83 in good shape but needs ring and piston so i got it and changed motor
i will take the advice of everyone and keep it a three wheeler
and becouse i can afford it i just went out and bought a honda 250r quad
but i will keep up on the work of the trike thanks again

threewheelin-feelin
05-23-2004, 06:05 PM
hondatrikesrule22 umm what 3wheeler's r cheep tecate 250rs and tri-z r going for almost 2000 and 350x r going for 1500 around here thats not cheap. im not gonna go on here im gonna make a 3 vs 4 thread

hondatrikesrule22
05-23-2004, 11:45 PM
hondatrikesrule22 umm what 3wheeler's r cheep tecate 250rs and tri-z r going for almost 2000 and 350x r going for 1500 around here thats not cheap. im not gonna go on here im gonna make a 3 vs 4 thread

All of them. When Banshees run $6000 and YFZs are almost $7000, and near mint 3 wheelers go for 2 grand, yeah thats cheap. OCCASIONALLY, you get $4000 250rs on ebay, but thats still less than new ones.

Earlier, I said a few of us ride 3 because they are alot cheaper. This is NOT what I think. A few people have posted that themselves saying they ride trikes cause they are cheaper. So, please don't say you can't afford a new quad and come freak out at somebody when they are just saying what you said. Its not right.... :Evil Have a nice day....