PDA

View Full Version : how to gear down a 350x?

X350X
05-19-2004, 08:03 PM
hello i'm have been reading for a while and i have my first question

i have an 86 350x i do only woods riding so i use 1st gear alot.

it is way to high and i'm useing the clutch alot more than i would like to.

i have a 14 tooth in the front and a 40 tooth in the rear.

i would like to reduce my first gear speed while ideling along by 1/3 to 1/2

is this pissible? would droping down to a 12tooth in the front cut my idle speed down at least 1/3?

thanks
mike

BLAZERONE22
05-19-2004, 09:12 PM
Go with a 13 tooth front sprocket 40 tooth rear, Works great for me and I still have good topend when I need it. if you drop down to a 12 tooth you will be riding wheelies in 6th gear. Also tire size makes a difference also, are you running 22's? Welcome to the board, I noticed that was your first post.

Billy Golightly
05-19-2004, 09:39 PM
If your in tight woods I'd reccomend a 12/42 front/rear sprocket combination. You will lose some topend with this setup but you'll gain a ton of torque and you wont be slipping the clutch all the time.

X350X
05-19-2004, 10:09 PM
i have been reading the forum for a while

that was my first post.

lets put it this way i have never been in 6th gear. i dont have anyplace long enoughtto use 5th or 6th.

i only want to change one sproket. becasue when i get back out to colorado i will have dunes to ride in. so i can put the 14 back on for the dunes then either the 12 or the 13 for the jeep trials. i need to keep up with my buddies toyota on the colorado jeep trails with out haveing to use the clutch every 2 seconds.

for the summer i'm in upstate new york and i'm rideing tight woods

would the 12 be better or the 13? thanks for the info

ragin cajun
05-19-2004, 10:13 PM
You nwill never be able to completely not use the clutch. I would go with a 13 cause with a 12 u will probably need to take some links out of your chain to get it to tighten up. I know I tried to go up to a 14 and my chain was 1 link to short.

Billy Golightly
05-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Well it will depend on the status and location of the chain adjuster, but if you go down 2 in the front and up 2 in the back...it should stay about the same.

ragin cajun
05-19-2004, 10:20 PM
He said he only wanted to change 1 sprocket not both.

X350X
05-19-2004, 10:35 PM
ok looks like i'll drop to a 13. cause i want to be able to use the chain for both the 14 and what ever i drop down to. so how much of a reduction is going from a 14 to a 13.

i know i will have to use the clutch some but for tight woods climbing over logs and rocks i need to grear down.

thanks

TimSr
05-19-2004, 10:41 PM
Welcome x350x, and let me first commend you for recognizing exaclty what the problem is, and what the fix is. So many people gear for street riding and havent a clue as to what a handicap street gearing is for woods riding. From your post its evident you even understand that gearing has nothing to do with top end or bottom end, and that you would like to ride within the powerband at slow speeds without clutch slipping. Aside from being a lot more comfortable to ride, you clutch life will drastically expand too.
Especially since, like me, you never see 6th gear, I would suggest dropping two teeth on the front. This will feel like youve dropped a complete gear. In other words, 2nd gear will be like your first is now, and youll always have that lower gear when you want to crawl. I do a lot of hillclimbing on a two stroke, and its hard enough to just do the climbs without trying to control rpms with the clutch while your doing it. I need to be at half throttle where the power kicks in, at slow climb speed without clutch slipping. Im running 11/43 on my TriZ. I ran 11/46 on my 250R. Youll probably never notice that while youve added that "extra gear" under first, that your old 6th gear is missing.

X350X
05-19-2004, 11:11 PM
thats a good point. i have 20 inch tires. and with this current gearing i would gess that it goes high 60s top seed. i'll never find a place to go 60 in the woods. i think i'll go with the 12 tooth. and hope my chain will adjust for it. i'll find out when i get the new sprocket.

350x'inNY
05-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Welcome aboard... these guys won't steer you wrong!!

Where about's in NY are you? I'm South of Rochester and have a couple 350X's. I use to be a Ceramic Engineer, so I know some people that work for Coor's... (not the :beer company either!)

Bruce

X350X
05-20-2004, 01:06 AM
well right now i'm in Vestal its just outside of binghamton.

in the fall i'll go back to colorado in the town of fort collins.

any one know where to pick up a cheep 12 tooth sprocket for an 86 350x

350x'inNY
05-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Vestal huh??? There happens to be a gentleman down there called 'MR ATC' that has a wide variety of 350X parts. I am actually heading down his way next Friday to pick up a few things and he's changing out my clutch on my driver 350X. (Hopefully, so I we won't have to mess with it at Haspin there Howdy... I'll let you know how it goes and whether you need to bring those parts or not)

Not sure if he'd have a 12 tooth gear, but I'm sure he'd let me know where to find one. I know Dennis Kirk and Chapparell carry different sizes, but I don't remember a '12' when I ordered a couple years back. I mainly ride in the woods too here in Dansville, which is fine if I'm by myself but if I have others with me with smaller bikes, I too feel like I use the clutch too much.

What are you doing Friday or Saturday next week? You wanna go riding after we get my 350X back together??? PM me....

Bruce

atcpunk107
05-20-2004, 03:50 PM
Hey first of all welcome to the board. second have you tried Binghamton Honda or Conklin Cycle, I am also in the Binghamton are as you are. I am in Harpursville, They Probably wuold have th sporckets, if ya need the phone number let me know

X350X
05-20-2004, 10:49 PM
i have to go to conclin cycle this week to pick up some swingarm barings i'll check with them.