PDA

View Full Version : 200x motor rebuild????

vartiak15
05-17-2004, 09:56 PM
how much does it cost to have a motor rebuilt for a dealer? or if anyone on here can do a very nice job and has done some trailprotrailpro how much u think it would cost?

hondatrikesrule22
05-17-2004, 10:53 PM
Dealers charge about $60 a hour for work. With parts and labor, I would say about $500.

TimSr
05-17-2004, 11:15 PM
"Rebuild" is a very vague term that gets thrown around a lot and can mean a very wide range of things. You can figure a minimum of around an hour and the cost of just rings to several hours, and the price off all the bearings, a crank job, a valve job, boring, piston and ring kit. Id say somewhere between $80 and $800, and thats about as anyone can realistically guess without knowing specifically what all needs 'rebuilt".

I would start by calling a local dealer and getting a price on a tear down and inspection after which they can then give a repair quote.

clong
05-18-2004, 03:40 PM
A regular dealer would not work on my 83 200X so I brought my not running trike to a private motorcycle mechanic. I brought it in becasue the kick starter was slipping and it wouldn't run. I got the thing for free because an old guy I knew was moving and was going to put it in the alley with a free sign on it. I ended up needing all new kickstart gears, ratchet spring, return spring. Before I proceed I highly recommend replacing these if you get the motor apart becasue they are known to be defective. He also replaced 1st and 2ed gear, the piston, rings, exhaust valve, cam, cam chain tensioner, oil pump as ell as rebuilt the carb, replaced all seals and gaskets and tuned the bike. He said it looked like the thing ran out of oil. Anyways all this work was almost $800 (half parts, half labor). Allot of money but I got to tell you the thing starts the first kick, never dies, and runs so smooth through every gear and no smoke. Well worth it.

84honda 200X
05-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Personally I would do it myself me and my dad did my bike together and it cost around 150 to rebuild the motor. THe thing runs like new and never dies and is super fast now.