PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting Tecate

Stephen G
05-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Hi,
I have a 1985 KXT 250 Tecate. It runs good but starts very hard; I need to pull it with another ATV to get it to start. What could cause it to start hard like this? I would like to start it by the kick-starter.
It runs excellent when it starts and is very very fast. It Runs and Looks very good it just has the starting problem. Any help would be very much appreciated. :TrikesOwn

3WheelsForever
05-17-2004, 04:06 PM
First thing I would try would be a hotter plug. With the reed spacer I have in my tecate it definitly made it easier to start when cold.

ScottZJ
05-17-2004, 04:08 PM
I would check or change you coil out, sounds like you need better spark. If you have another trike use that coil just to see if it will start but dont run with it. Or you could have a friend check to see for spark while you are kicking it over. But you can get a coil on ebay for around 15-20$

NICKG
05-17-2004, 06:25 PM
first thing i would do is ignore the rest of the advice you get and do these
1 get a new plug...b8es or br8es(better) and clean your air filter
2 use starting fluid and see if you can kick start it with a few shots
3 do a compression test and make sure that you have at least 150psi(fyi 2 stroke engines will run fantastic with awesome mid/top power with low compression...they are just hard to start this way, infact it was common for the old flat track bikes to need tow starting because of the super low compression(fromm big time raise porting specs)
4 check your reeds to see if they are not worn out(if they are not sealing they are worn out) this causes weak vacumn to the carb(meaning no fuel)
5 verify that the carb is getting gas...then double check the float level
this is where I would start

TimSr
05-17-2004, 07:07 PM
I would follow what NickG has suggested. I doubt youll need to go past step 3, though.

C W.
05-17-2004, 07:23 PM
a coil usualy gets worse not better ass it heats up so x that.reeds are the usual suspect compresion to but chek your reeds they are easy and cheap.maby you can just flip em over in a pinch to.always use fiber reeds.mite me just slap worn out . you will instal new reeds with your rebuild so git some.what he said the plug they love plugs buy a box of em.

Derrick Adams
05-18-2004, 08:12 AM
C.W. ......What??

Wickedfinger
05-18-2004, 10:42 AM
Sounds like bad reeds to me (and some others too) ..... check your reeds. Any daylight ... replace them.