PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z 4th gear went out

Tri-Z
05-17-2004, 01:34 AM
I took my Tri-Z out for the first ride today after a bottom to top rebuild including a six-speed. Everything was fine for a few minutes, then fourth gear went out. You can feel it shift in and it kinda has some drag on the engine, but when you try to accelerate, then engine just revs up. Kinda like the clutch is slipping. All of the other gears work fine. Any ideas? I gotta get her goin for TrikeFest.

Thanks
Josh

TimSr
05-17-2004, 08:38 AM
Did you do any changes or convert the transmission during the rebuild? Its really only one of two possibilities. One is a problem with a badly worn or incorrect shifting fork, and the other is a problem on the gear shaft assembly, such as a missing washer that affects spacing or rounded side knubs on a gear. Its a real bummer, but whatever the problem, it will require splitting the cases again.

Billy Golightly
05-17-2004, 10:17 AM
I've just had my Z engine apart all the way from the "ziplock bag" stage to running. My other transmission I was using for parts had 4th gear scalded solid on the shifting shaft, I'm not sure what exactly caused it but it was on there so tight it had to be beat off with a sledge hammer :eek:

I really wonder what caused it to do that though. I had never ran that engine so one of the previous owners musta either had it apart and screwed something up or ran it without enough oil or something or another. Shaft didn't look to pretty where the gear stuck.

Tri-Z
05-17-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. Now, fourth gear worked for about a mile or so. Could these suggestions still be the problem?

Thanks
Josh

Wickedfinger
05-18-2004, 10:44 AM
Do 5th and 6th work?.

TimSr
05-18-2004, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the responses. Now, fourth gear worked for about a mile or so. Could these suggestions still be the problem?

Thanks
Josh

Probably not a washer missing, but a worn fork or worn side knobs on a gear are probable.

Tri-Z
05-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Yeah, 5th and 6th do work. This is an '85 Z and I put the 6 speed in myself. It looks like I'll be cracking the case again. I just hope I can see something once I get in there. As far as worn forks or gears, could I replace them with the parts from a 5 speed? I've got three of those and only the one six speed.

Thanks
Josh