PDA

View Full Version : brand new tecate tank??? not quite...

GreenLightening
05-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Its not every day you see a tank this green.

GreenLightening
05-14-2004, 12:11 PM
good the pics worked. The paint has been on there for 2 days now. no problems yet. Im keeping my fingers crossed though. I am not expecting any problems but those tanks are tricky.

GreenBoy
05-14-2004, 12:33 PM
and I keep my fingers crossed for you too.
I had a buddy with a yellow Tecate, he got this
job done at a shop and it lasted for years........
Though I´m still pissed that these parts are no longer available
from ****ing Kawasaki.....
Best wishes
Hagen

Jeb
05-14-2004, 12:35 PM
You know what upsets me? I live on a road traveled to get to the local MX track and some riding places. I see allot different truck and trailer loads of bikes and ATVs go by. Every once in a while I see a nice mid-80's KX or KDX held over from smack dab in the middle of the 3-wheeler era. some are really nice, some are not. But they always have a nice, green gas tank.

I can't for life of me figure out why the Tecate's gas tanks discolor and the KX/KDX tanks dont. I've even got an old gas tank from a 1983 KX125 I've had since the mid 80s. It's got white scaling, but underneath that it's nice and green. My 86 KXT tank seams to be discolored from the inside out. and the green 85 I had in the past was faded pretty bad.

Must be different plastics. I need to check, it also might be that the KX tanks are thicker because they have more of a chance of being broken when a bike gets laid over or wipes out.

BTW, that tank you painted looks great and I really like the screen plate. I hope you have good luck with it. I need to get a pic of my KXT. I took the white screen out of one of my number plates and replaced it with Blue screen I found at wal-mart thanks to Ange. I put on white Petty numbers. It looks good.

GreenLightening
05-14-2004, 08:53 PM
greenboy, Ill keep hoping for the best. I was glad to hear that the body shop paint held on for so long. Thats the process I used with quality paint. no spray can jobs here.

Jeb, Thanks. I thought about this a long time before I decided to buy a tank off ebay and paint one. I was sure they were made of some different plastic. I finally decided that I for sure could get paint to stick. I didnt know that kx tanks do not fade. now I am really confused. I have not tried letting the tank sit with fuel yet, I want the paint to cure totally first. I dont think it has anything to do with fuel though. I think its all the kind of plastic.

I knew you would like that number screen. I think I might copy your blue screen idea, I think that would look great. I need to see that one of yours I bet it looks damn good.

Jeb
05-17-2004, 01:41 PM
I'll try to get a picture of mine in the immediate future. :D

ScottZJ
05-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Thats good to know that is holding its color and looking good. I might be getting an 85 Tecate to add to my other 86 and not sure of the tank quality. I do know its just like my 86 tecate, it has a tank cover on it but I would like to take it off and not have one. So keep us updated on how good it lasts.........peace

Jeb
05-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Here's one of my Plates. It had a white screen in it before but it was cracked. I'd like to find a darker blue or black in the near future. but for under a buck and a trip to wal-mart, this works for now. :D