PDA

View Full Version : Gas Resistant Paint?

jakerush
05-10-2004, 10:16 AM
I wondered if you guys could help me with some paint issues. I was doing a restoration on a 200x and I bought some super high heat engine enamel for my tank. The thing was beautiful(IMHO). Well, this weekend was the glorious "first ride" and when I dripped some gas on the tank, it ate it the new paint off. What do ya'll use when painting tanks?

Thanks for your help,
Jake

ejc042
05-10-2004, 10:25 AM
You need to use a good clearcoat. I ordered some clearcoat from a local automotive body shop and baked the tank when I was done painting to cure the paint good. Just dont use the home oven. the wife is still pissed about that one.

GreenLightening
05-10-2004, 01:58 PM
Fuel is always a problem with paint. most current urethane paints (primer,basecoat,and clear) have very good reisistance to fuel. I have done many harley tanks and only had a problem with one of them. On that one i had used an older product. none of it is foolproof and if you soak it in gas before it has cured it will cause problems. Just a few drops or even a small spill is not a problem after the paint has set up. aresol paints are fine for small parts or even large parts that do not come into contact with harsh solvents or fuel. I would definately recommend a quality product for the fuel tank. you want that part to look nice and stay looking nice, so it might be best to spend a little extra money.

Billy Golightly
05-10-2004, 04:43 PM
I've sprayed Dupont Imron on several tanks without having any gas solevent problems. Imron is a high end paint and is about $30 a quart but it has an unparalelled finish in my opinon.