PDA

View Full Version : how do i know if i need rings?

mrman550
05-08-2004, 05:28 PM
My 350x has recently started to smoke a very little amount when i hit the gas and sometimes on start up too i just got a new clutch put in also i checked the oil and it was low the smoke is grayish color i am confused about this nothing was done to the moter except the clutch any help would be nice and what kind of new parts should i put in it? :(

Trikes_Own
05-08-2004, 05:43 PM
may be a gas leak, oil leak, or ya need rings...

3wheelrkid
05-08-2004, 10:43 PM
it is probably your rings i had the same problem with my 200x and i replaced them and it doesnt smoke anymore and it runs great!!! But it could also be your valve seals!! I would suggest replacing both, it doesnt cost that much.

threewheelin-feelin
05-08-2004, 10:49 PM
ok kid if it smoke when u start it up and stops after the motor get warm u need valve stim seals. if it smoke all the time no mater what u need rings my uncle is a mechanic and he said thats true.

84 atc200s
80 atc70
03 crf150f
03 xr70

mrman550
05-09-2004, 12:18 PM
i can sometimes see a light smoke when i start it and then i cant really see the smoke anymore except when i rev it up and i still somethines cant see any smoke but when im riding it i can smell the oil burning

mrman550
05-09-2004, 06:48 PM
today when i rode it it started to noticebly smoke when you rev it and let it come back down is this rings? when i fix it should i get valves or valve springs or seals also when i put new rings in it will it need to be broken in as much should i get a new piston also??

threewheelin-feelin
05-09-2004, 08:43 PM
ok now if it smokes more when u rev it its because its buring faster sucking more in but if stops smokin{idaling or reving when it warm} get valve steem seels if it smoke all the time idaling or reving get rings.

mrman550
05-09-2004, 10:01 PM
its smoking when i rev it and i cant tell if it is smoking on a idle yet when warm what all should i get i want to tare it apart once and then not worry about something else going wrong but i want to replace what it needs not extra stuff. how much will it cost for new rings gaskets and valve seals and maybe new valves and springs?
thanks

threewheelin-feelin
05-09-2004, 10:07 PM
trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro i dont know lol um yeah go ahead and replace the rings and valve steems seels not sure what else u will need

cliff2302
05-09-2004, 10:09 PM
get it taken apart so you can look at everything to see what is still good before you start making plans. thats the only way your going to find out what you need or don't need. Good luck

mrman550
05-10-2004, 04:08 PM
will it hurt it to ride it for awahile untill i get the money? i dont ride everyday either how can i tell if the seals are any good

threewheelin-feelin
05-10-2004, 04:24 PM
umm it should be ok just check the oil before every time u ride it ;)

Billy Golightly
05-10-2004, 05:01 PM
Unless your machine was owned by a qualified mechanic before you, I'd plan for the worst and replace the following:

All Gaskets (Please, Please don't use silicone).

Valve guide seals (These should come in a complete gasket kit if its from a reputable company like Vesrah, but check before you order to make sure).

Complete Piston kit. This should include a piston, rings, wristpin, circlips. Find out the size of your cylinder first before ordering. Take your cylinder to a machine shop and tell them you want to get a new piston, and find out what size you need.

I would CHECK the following, and replace/repair accordingly:

Valves, Valve Seats
Timing Chain, Timing Chain guide
Rocker Arms
Connecting Rod
Connecting Rod, Main bearings

I'm a firm believer in if you have the ability to fix it right, do it and don't worry about it busting on you in the near future.

mrman550
05-13-2004, 10:03 PM
the guy i got it from just replaced the clutch a few weeks ago for me and he knows what he is doing and has a manual also im selling a dirtbike and i am going to use the money to order new parts to do the job right while im in the moter should i get a new piston too should i get a weisco piston set or honda piston i want to replace as much as i can so it will last another 20 years with no problems.
Thanks