PDA

View Full Version : Rust in metal tank

atckowalski
05-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know a good way to get rust and rust deposits out of a metal gas tank. I have a few ideas but there has got to be an easier way. Thanks!

kdagenais
05-05-2004, 10:08 PM
One way is to take it to a radiator shop and the other is to use a chemical kit made by Kreem. The Kreem kit comes with a cleaner, rinse, & coating. I personally only used the Kreem kit once but was impressed with the cleaner and like to try something different with the coating next time.
My recommendation on the coating is to add only a little of it at a time instead of the entire bottle like the directions say. I dumped the entire bottle in and I was rolling the tank around all day before it dried and then ended up with a sloppy (stringy) mess inside. Works great though been a year and no rust in the carb yet and that is without a fuel filter.

nickel16
05-06-2004, 06:08 PM
battery acid also works really well to clean the inside of the tank out that is rusty, just dont spill on trailprotrailpro self

Mr. Sandman
05-06-2004, 06:49 PM
I've successfully cleaned extremely rusty tanks with muriatic (swimming pool) acid. Buy a gallon or two and fill the tank. Be sure to remove the tank from the bike and plug the lines. Let the acid sit for 20-30 minutes and then dump it. Be carefull of the fumes. Rinse the tank well 2-3 times with water and dump it. Look inside the tank with a flash light and if you see any rust remaining, start all over. Once the rust is gone, rinse it well with a mixture of water and baking soda to nuetralize any remaining acid. Rinse it again with water only, and then blow it out with compressed air. Let it sit in the hot sun for an hour or two and then do a final rinse with WD-40 to displace any remaining moisture. If you don't do the WD-40 part, the tank will start rusting again immediatley.

Howdy
05-06-2004, 09:09 PM
JeSwinehart has done a tank or 2 with good results. How about it John wanna give some input here? lol
Howdy

ClayW
05-06-2004, 09:22 PM
I just did one on my 87 Big Red I put some of that tank acid in it for 24 hrs and I did the trick. I will eventually put some of that stuff John told me about to coat the tank on the inside. RED KOTE was the name of the stuff. John can give you the info on it. From my searches it appears that you can only buy it in in the midwest.

Clay

eistea15
05-07-2004, 08:15 AM
With my old moped that i just sold, I used battery acid to clean the tank out with.

84honda 200X
05-07-2004, 11:23 AM
My dad and I cleaned his rusty 110 tank with just soap, water, and an air hose. It worked very good took almost all the rust out.

42F67N
05-07-2004, 05:25 PM
My tank is kreamed and it holding up excellent