PDA

View Full Version : 350X Shifting problem

bobr
05-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Intermittently, I can't upshift.Usually 1-2, but sometimes others as well. If I gas it and back off, it'll shift after that. Clutch is OK and well adjusted. It used to be easy to shift,even without the clutch. Any ideas anyone? Bob

200xman
05-05-2004, 06:39 AM
On the 350x there is a shift linkage behind the left outer cover. Real easy to get to. There are a couple of springs that might be bad or once I had the center bolt back out and it did what you are describing. If you need I can fax or mail copies of the pages out of my Honda manual that deal with the linkage.(sorry, no scanner).

Howdy
05-05-2004, 09:02 AM
I might be wrong here. But going with the limited information you have given, It sounds to me like 1 of 3 things could be bad. I have them marked ( A, B, C ) in the picture below.
Letter A : This bolt tend to break once and a while. This bolt is for the shifter to return to centered position. If the shifter falls down all the time there is a very good chance this is the problem.

Letter B : This Bolt may have come loose. If so it will need tightened up ( I use Blue Loctite on the ones I fix ). With this bolt loose it can cause it to be hard to get into any gear ( if you can get it into gear at all ). If shifting it into gear keeps getting worse then there is a good chance this is the problem.

Letter C : This what turns the shifter drum in the motor. If this is bad ( broken ) then it can be hard to shift up or down. While it is rare that these actually do break, I have seen a couple that have broke. The end that I have seen break is the little end towards the top left.

In another posting ( similar subject ) TimSr stated the clutch basket could have grooves wore into it. It is remotly possible that this is the problem here also. I doubt it is the cause of your problem. But I have been proved wrong before. ;)

I hope this helps.
Howdy

bobr
05-05-2004, 10:34 PM
Thanks Howdy, I just had the left sidecase off before the problem started. All the parts you specified look good. Is there anything to adjust? I have a shop manual.BTW it shifts fine standing still with the cover off.(No load I guess) Also, clutch basket is not grooved. Bob

TimSr
05-06-2004, 08:41 AM
Im not a 350X guru, but if everything under the sidecover is in order, a worn shifting fork may be the culprit.