PDA

View Full Version : needing help with a recoil

trikeman
05-03-2004, 08:38 PM
does anybody here have little tricks that they use when trying to get a recoil spring back into the case. This is on a 185s, i can almost get it, then it uncoils... any help is GREATLY appreciated.

thanks...

trikeman
05-03-2004, 08:56 PM
yea i think i will, when i see the stoner at school tomorrow!!! :Evil

atc krazy
05-03-2004, 09:23 PM
start with the outside and curle it in it hapend to me with my 200you might need some needle nose vice grips

Yamada
05-03-2004, 09:34 PM
I did this on my yamaha. You must be two guy to do it.

350x'inNY
05-03-2004, 10:26 PM
Or..... you could take a lesson from Howdy! Rotate your thumbs around the recoil as one feeds the spring in and the other keeps it from popping out. (About 180º from each other..) Saw Howdy do this a when I was out to OH. I always thought they were a pain too, til I saw it done like that!

Bruce

TheOlderFox
05-03-2004, 11:09 PM
I start by attaching the inside end to the reel leaving the other end outside of the case and spin the reel inside of the case to draw in the rest of the spring. Once it is tight enough, I feed the other end in where the rope comes out and the gap is a little bigger. It should then snap into place. Don't forget to have the rope in place. I wrap it around the reel and tape the end in place so that it stays while winding the spring. Once the spring is set and can get at the tape with a good pair of pliers and feed it through. Hopefully you can make sense of this. I can do it time and time agian (and have had to), but it is tough to explain.

chuck
05-04-2004, 07:43 AM
there is a threadon 3ww.org that i sstarted and somebody added a great picture site he made showing all the steps and tricks.

Howdy
05-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Or..... you could take a lesson from Howdy! Rotate your thumbs around the recoil as one feeds the spring in and the other keeps it from popping out. (About 180º from each other..) Saw Howdy do this a when I was out to OH. I always thought they were a pain too, til I saw it done like that!

Bruce

Bruce your too kind!! Here is a link to the method that I use ( and teach others to do ).
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showpost.php?p=118472&postcount=3

That whole thread can be seen here:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=19821

If you do a search you will find quite a few other threads on the subject also. ;)
Thanks
Howdy

trikeman
05-05-2004, 08:39 PM
Alright thanks everybody for the help, i'm going to give Howdy's method a shot hopefully it'll work.

~Rich