PDA

View Full Version : Please help get Tri-Z running right

IShouldGetOne
05-02-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi I'm new here and am very glad to see so many dudes into 3-Wheelers. They are awesome and I just got a Tri-Z. It was fully restored and the engine was rebuilt with just a couple/few hours on it. Here are the specs :

1st Overbore Wiseco Piston, Rings

Mild Port Job

Boyesen Reeds, DG pipe and Silencer.

I bought this wheeler from a guy who did the rebuilding and had it setup to run in the winter here in Minnesota. So he said to lean it out. I've tried running 32:1, 40:1, and 50:1, and have moved the needle in the carb to all 5 slots and it still spitters and sputters when I drive it. It has a 660 Jet in it. And it had a 680 before but we broke it and put in a 490. Funny thing we got a new spark plug and put it in with the 490 jet running like 40:1 and it ran perfect for like 4 or 5 minutes then started spittering again. So I'm thinking now it could be a spark problem. I know theres a few guys here with Tri-Z's very similar to mine , Please help!! Thanks.

short4stuff
05-02-2004, 08:44 PM
Hi I'm new here and am very glad to see so many dudes into 3-Wheelers. They are awesome and I just got a Tri-Z. It was fully restored and the engine was rebuilt with just a couple/few hours on it. Here are the specs :

1st Overbore Wiseco Piston, Rings

Mild Port Job

Boyesen Reeds, DG pipe and Silencer.

I bought this wheeler from a guy who did the rebuilding and had it setup to run in the winter here in Minnesota. So he said to lean it out. I've tried running 32:1, 40:1, and 50:1, and have moved the needle in the carb to all 5 slots and it still spitters and sputters when I drive it. It has a 660 Jet in it. And it had a 680 before but we broke it and put in a 490. Funny thing we got a new spark plug and put it in with the 490 jet running like 40:1 and it ran perfect for like 4 or 5 minutes then started spittering again. So I'm thinking now it could be a spark problem. I know theres a few guys here with Tri-Z's very similar to mine , Please help!! Thanks.

is it just me or is the main jet HUGH ???

mike from long island
05-02-2004, 09:02 PM
do you still run the fuel pump set up? i took mine of and there is a vacuum line that runs on the cylinder. check to make sure it is not leaking or missing. check the reeds to make sure there isnt any dirty and such there. i run a 490 jet as well with the needle set at the third notch i think. i have an airfilter right off the back of the carb,plus a topend pipe bike ran good before it blew lol good luck

IShouldGetOne
05-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Ya I was thinking the jet could possibly be too big. I'll check the vaccum line stuff too.