PDA

View Full Version : I got real Lucky with my R

Domingo
05-01-2004, 11:09 PM
More on the ongoing troubles with my R. A couple of weeks I hop on and gave it a kick. The kicker got jammed about a quarter of the way. This upset me and I had to go to work soon, so I left it sit. The next day I open the side case up, and look around. I see nothing wrong, but the kicker still wont go past a quarter of the way down. So I decieded to take the jug off and look down in the crank to see if anything is wrong. As I am taking the jug off, i see a peice of metal fall down on the crank. This worries me alot. I finish taking the head off and what do I see? The skirt on sylinder sleeve has broken completely off. It had jammed itself in between the connecting rod and the crankshaft housing. I could not beleive what I was seeing. I then counted my lucky stars. If I had been ripping around, and the sleeve broke, I would have spent the next hour picking up shards of my engine out of the yard. So I take it down to the machine shop and tell him it needs a new sleeve. He had never seen a sleeve break like that. So I leave it in his hands for a week. I go to pick it up, and he tells me the entire jug cant be used anymore. Appearently the it had been resleeved before, and when they punched it out, they made the cylinder hole to big, and a new sleeve would not fit properly. This is probably the reason my sleeve broke in the first place. Waves of panich swept thru me when I heard this. "I cant afford a new jug, I will have to sell my baby. I dont want to go back to my suzuki 185...etc" But there was good news. He had in his back room, a 250r jug. A jug that was owned by one, Sandy Parker. It was set up for racing, and it was cheap. I couldn't beleive it. It is in perfect shape. Bored out 60 over, with a complete Boysen reed valve assembly, and reed spacer. Not just super stock reeds, but the entire reed valve. So when it comes back next week, it will fly. Hopefully this will be the last time my R breaks down for awhile. The engine is completely redone now, so I shouldn't have to much trouble. Now all I need on my R is an exhaust. Any suggestions of what to get? I was thinking FMF Gold Series. with a Powercore muffler. If anyone has one, or knows something better, let me know.

250SX_rider
05-02-2004, 11:55 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

More lucky than that, it's impossible!!! lol!

TeCaTe_MaN
05-02-2004, 02:52 PM
i guess you got real lucky on that one...good thing you wern't ridin it around when that happened...

deathman53
05-02-2004, 10:02 PM
you got lucky on that, I'ver heard about the sleavs breaking before. why not go with a 295 sleave? they need to puch it out a good bit to get that sleave in, it really rips and LOOKS STOCK

Domingo
05-02-2004, 10:56 PM
Thats a good idea. I will seriously consider it this winter after I get my exhuast and other things. Are the 295 sleeves hard to find? Do I need to do anything else to my engine, besides new piston and rejetting? Is it more prone to breaking in the future when it is put in?

deathman53
05-03-2004, 03:24 PM
the 295 sleaves are easy to find, wiesco, pro-x make pistons for it, pro-design or esr makes a special head for them, but you can use a stock head. I think you use the same gaskets.

edog
05-03-2004, 05:53 PM
Hurry,go buy a scratch ticket.While your luck is still with you.