PDA

View Full Version : Heeeeeeeeelp Stripped Bolt What To Do???

eh_tee_see
04-30-2004, 03:01 AM
ohhhhhhhhh woe is me... just got in my cobra for my 250sx and i get every bolt off except one stud!!! the bottom one, the nut wont come off the stud wont come it, the bolt is rustier than the titanic :( what to do??? i used vice grips and a can of WD 40 it did nothing!!!! what tips and tricks can i do besides take it and light it ablaze???

atcmatt
04-30-2004, 05:25 AM
You should either try heating it up and using the vice grips again or drill it out and replace the stud/nut.

Hope you get it off, it sure is a pain, i know from experience.

Matt

Dirtcrasher
04-30-2004, 06:32 AM
You need at least acetylene to heat it up a bit - I never get exhaust nuts or studs out without heat. I replaced my SX studs with stainless steel so hopefully it will never happen again. Good luck! Make sure to toss a 350X carb on that SX and throw away your airbox lid with that exhaust - say hello to nice power gains!!

cliff2302
04-30-2004, 09:58 AM
maybe try a little pipe wrench with the heat if the vise grips don't work. good luck

KASEY
04-30-2004, 11:48 AM
there is a tool called a nut splitter,, maybe a rental place has one or your local napa ,,,, they work great and will not hurt the threads if you are careful,,,

JoeSuzuki
04-30-2004, 02:24 PM
Drill it out, then rethread.

KASEY
04-30-2004, 02:52 PM
if i read it right he has not twisted it off yet,,, so there is no need to do any drilling yet,,,,, so be careful ,,

JoeSuzuki
05-01-2004, 08:02 AM
well if it aint out or broken yet, try that: let it sit in lemon juice (put it on a rag and slam it on) over night, then the next mornin try with a small impact, and if you get some space, try and keep some pressur towards you with a small prybar while you unscrewing. (set your impact to the slowest speed and strenght)