PDA

View Full Version : How to go faster?

12-19-2002, 11:24 PM
Will a 13tooth front sprocket and a 35tooth rear sprocket make my 350X go faster compared to a 14tooth front sprocket and a 40tooth rear sprocket?
Also how much more Horse power is added to a stock 350X once you add a supertrapp exhaust?

catfishwhisker
12-19-2002, 11:42 PM
Faster topend with the 13/35. More low end grunt with the 14/40. Even faster topend with 14/35. You need to figure out what kind of riding you'll be doing most of the time: Trail riding, top end racing, etc. I don't know exactly how much extra horsepower you'll have, but it will definitely help it out.

TimSr
12-20-2002, 12:07 AM
Your actually going one step forward and two steps back, for a net gain of slightly more than nothing here. To gear higher, you go larger in the front and/or smaller in the back. One tooth on the front is like between 3 and 4 on the back, so if you take a tooth from the front you gear donw, and when you remove five from the back, you gear back up slightly higher than where you started. If you 14/40 now, just drop the rear to a 35. Leave the 14 on the front.

200xer
12-20-2002, 01:40 AM
If you wanna get really into it, if you take a 13 driver and a 14 driver, then put a different rear tooth on each so they have the same ratio, the 14 driver will go better on topend while the 13 will go better on bottom. The reason the 14 is better on top is that the chain takes a more gradual turn, so it can move faster. I'm not sure how much difference it actually makes, but it's there. I found this stuff out from racing karts. If you don't know about karts, you will be amazed as to how much is really involved.

12-20-2002, 02:27 AM
So basically a 14tooth front and a 35tooth rear would be the same as a 13tooth front and a 40 tooth rear. Thanks for the help guys! :)

GlennMc
12-20-2002, 11:37 AM
Tim;

Save yourself some guesswork and use this simple formula to find out where you are at;

(rear sprocket teeth)/(front sprocket teeth) = final drive ratio.

for example;

35 / 13 = 2.69 or 2.69 turns of the front sprocket for every turn of the rear sprocket.

40 / 14 = 2.85 or 2.85 turns of the front sprocket for every turn of the rear sprocket.

The ratio is the same as an axle ratio in a car, like when someone says "yep, I got me some four eleven gears in that sucker" what they mean is 4.11 ratio final gears. The larger the number, the faster your vehicle will accelerate, but the lower its top speed will be.

Grab your calculator and a sprocket catalogue and compare the selections available against your stock set-up and you will get a good idea of what each sprocket combination will do for you.

Good Luck, GlennMc.

85 200X
12-20-2002, 06:21 PM
Go to http://www.sidewindersprockets.com/images/ratioa.gif They got a whole list of sprocket combos and drive ratios.