PDA

View Full Version : Swing arm wheel bearings: Bearings are STUCK; How to remove

12-19-2002, 06:02 PM
Hello I am new to 3wheelers and bikes in general. Just found an 84 200x and it needs some work. Bearings and rear brakes, so far.

There was a lot of play on the axle so I decided to replace the bearings.
Unfortunately the bearing housing is stuck. It is rust welded in place.
Any ideas on getting the bearings out when they are stuck this bad.
On one side I cut with dremel all the way until the outer ring, then made to slots and tapped the cut piece, except only half of it came flying out.
The other chunk is like welded to the swing arm; no way it wants to come out. Need some ideas on how to get these bearings off.
Especially the one that I cut and only the outer ring is left; more like a "C". Second time I tried this the same thing happened. Only a small bit came out and a small sheered piece left. This ring it really stuck. Help.

Dirtcrasher
12-19-2002, 07:37 PM
Yuck!! When I find things like this the first thing I'll try is using a bushing or socket I'll try to smash it or press it out, but you removed the rounded over parts so I think you'll just get that stuck in there to. Sounds like penetrating oil won't do much but can't hurt either. Heat from a torch will damage the strength of the housing but a heat gun should be ok. Then I would get a .250 punch - something that won't bend and sharpen the face of it to make it square. As soon as you hit it and it misses it will round the end of the punch off again and you must sharpen it again continuing to try to get the race to pull away or curl etc. . I would sharpen another punch to a point and try to get it between the aluminum and the outer race which is stuck. Careful as any damage to the soft aluminum will hurt the fit of the new needle bearings. Someone here must have a swing arm if all else fails. This is usually about the time I curse the person I bought the machine from for letting water destroy it. :twisted: Good luck

atc86r
12-19-2002, 07:37 PM
i put my carrier on end in oven at 250 and listen for bearing to drop then remove from oven and tap out with piece of wood. if yours is to dirty for this how about first cleaning with wd-40 and brush. good luck however you do it.

smokinwrench
12-19-2002, 11:38 PM
I bought a 225 DR from a guy that used to float it across the great salt lake. The bearings wear junk. I had to take a die grinder with a carbide bit and cut slots into the race to get the rollers out. After all that I could slide the axel out then I cut the outer races into 3 pieces to get them out. I also had to cut the inner races off the axel. I'm not sure how how different the 2 trikes are, but this might give you some ideas. GOOD LUCK

freaksfix
12-19-2002, 11:53 PM
Pepsi... it has Phosphoric Acid in it .... it will break down just about any rust build up... let it soak over night....its gotta be submerged in it...

For those calling me an idiot right now, take that old chain that has so much rust on it that it wont move, put it in a tray then fill up the tray with a Cola.... let me know how it works.....

Lots_Of_Nothing
12-20-2002, 12:00 AM
freaks fix, you beat me to it!....trust him it works great, i use it on a old chain before, also i used it on my old feild car on the battery, wher the connector would corrode...works great!!!

TimSr
12-20-2002, 12:09 AM
While you have the dremel out, you can keep grinding until the whole thing is paper thin, and then heat it up with a propane torch and youll be able to peel it right out with a screwdriver.

12-20-2002, 01:47 AM
Thanks for all the tips. Keep them coming as I will be trying this again after I am back from vacation. Happy Holidays.

Oh the rear brakes; anyone have any experience rebuilding the master cylinder? Mine bubbles out of the rubber cap. Is there a rebuild kit?
How do I verify if the piston is seized?

Thanks everyone.