View Full Version : 250es to 250sx

heehaw
05-28-2003, 04:37 PM
does any body know if i can make the change over a 250es to a 250sx

4 250sx best 3 wheeler made for my type of rideing

bbechtel16
05-28-2003, 10:57 PM
Ummmm...... could you be more specific?

edit: Pretty sure you can swap front ends with an SX, more travel and such, but while you're at it I would go for a 350X or 250R front end (I wouldn't trust a 200X setup as much in the case of the big red since it outweighs the SX by like 50 pounds. Many benefit come from those upgraded front ends if you do a complete swap: hydro disc brakes, better turning, more travel, smoother ride, better handling overall (less likely to roll, slides instead), also I think it would be weight reduction, although I'm not 100% sure.

heehaw
05-29-2003, 03:44 AM
i have a extra 250r front end i was thinking about but when you stand them against it it seem to me it will raise the frount end up to high unless you put 10.50x15 truck tires on back i have some 200x forks someone sent me by mistake but like you say to week but after i strip all the fenders and headlight ect off i think it might weigh less than a 250sx
that is a head scracher will play more thur. with it have pic. of before will send pic . of after

you think about it why not find someone to trade

proud owner of
4 250sx
1 250es
1 185
1 200s training bike
1 82 250r

Jugernaut
05-29-2003, 08:08 AM
does any body know if i can make the change over a 250es to a 250sx
Probaly could.But WHY????

heehawlittle
05-29-2003, 08:14 AM
the 250es is to wide were i ride the back rack and fenders always catch on something or another plus it wont fit threw the gate to my back yard

bbechtel16
05-29-2003, 08:33 PM
Sounds like you need a bigger gate :-D Pontiac was right on one thing for sure, wider IS better. I may be wrong, but its my guess that the ES is the same width as the SX, at least as far as axle/wheel goes, maybe the tires, plastics, and/or rack is wider though.

Raising up the front is a GOOD thing, makes the machine much more stable. My friend has an SX with a stock front end, I can't stand riding it, I feel like its gonna roll all the time. If you have a complete 250R front end (forks, triple clamp, brakes, and wheel/tire) I would definately go that route. If you dont like how it raises the front you can always raise the forks position in the triple clamp (I have a 350X front end with the forks dropped down the whole way in the clamp) which will drop the front end. If your R front isn't close to or complete I would probably try the 200X front if it's complete. I know I said I wouldn't trust it, but if I already had it around I'm sure I would try it. I forget his username (he has him riding his SX through some water pulling a wheelie) has a 200X front on his SX and I hear he has been jumping and stuff with it and it is holding up great.

Hope this helps.

bentwrench
05-30-2003, 12:51 AM
Better look at gear ratios before going to far. There is a difference, numbers don't look like much but it does make a change. The ES is geared lower than the SX. Slower in response and lower top end. I hav e the reduction, final drive, and trans gear ratio's if you want them.

Wickedfinger
05-30-2003, 01:21 AM
... what the ? ..... anyway, I don't see the forks/trees bolting up too easilly - The Big Red has 200S type curved top air forks and I doubt the steering stem from any of the other trikes will fit the ES steering head properly without serious modification, if its at all possible. As far as the "Gearing" comments go, also take into account that the ES has 25" tires and an SX has 22"s. I think for the cost of this project, you're better off just selling the Big Red and buying an actual 250SX to wrench on. Hell, if that Big Red is in good shape, you could probably buy 2 so so 200X's for what you could get for it, they hold their value very well.

bentwrench
05-30-2003, 01:28 AM
OK I agree. this is getting out of hand. I also apolgize and thank you for reminding me about the tire size in respect to the gear ratios. BUT I do know that my friend who has a "big red" can't hold a prayer to my SX's when it comes to gettin' it & playing around.

Wickedfinger
05-30-2003, 01:33 AM
Whoa, what are you apologising for, you havn't wronged anybody. :-D

heehawlittle
05-30-2003, 02:53 AM
fitting threw gate it is the fenders that are always in the way i have 4 other 250 sx and i put the 25-13-9 on it i can get it threw gate tight tho
getting 200x that bike would last about 3 rides and the cluch would be burnt up the onley bike that can take the bs. i put them threw is 250sx the es is just to wide any body want to trade i can send you pic of it it is real clean but it has plastic tank but thank for all the feed back

bbechtel16
05-30-2003, 09:50 AM
If you already have 4 SXs and only 1 ES, why would you get rid of the ES? I sure wouldn't mind having a beast like that around.

Wickedfinger: I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure it will work because the ES and SX are very similar (almost the same actually) and the SX can take a 200X, 350X,or 250R front end; bolts right on (actually I don't know for sure about the R front but the Xs for sure, I have a 350X front and my friend just put a 200X on his.)

King44
05-30-2003, 01:02 PM
Remember if you change the forks, you'd have to fab up a way for the electronics up front to go somewhere...they're attached to the front rack, and the rack is attached to the forks...

Wickedfinger
05-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Well, I'm only basing this assumtion on the fact that its a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to bolt on any other front end onto a 200S, which has the same style trees/forks. I've never owned a Big Red but I have a decent amout of experience on one (my best riding buddy had one for years - he used to tow us out of the mud with it :? ). It looked to me like the Head set was I guess , "beefier" than other Honda trikes to cope with the added heft of the bike and the fork/frame loads from the front rack. I don't know though, this might be a good thing or a bad thing in regards to this question. My only thoughts with bolting on a different front end would be getting the steering stem to actually fit and finding some bearings to work inside the head with the different than stock inside and outside races - I think that the stems from different ATC's might be too small a diameter or too short or even tall (so the shoulders wouldn't be in the right place). Also, what would chaging the front end have to do with making it fit the gate?. I dont know, I'm confused and this post is giving me a headache. In any event I just noticed he said he had 4 other SX's, which leads me to my original statement of "Why?". Big Reds are truely great trikes, and are a perfect machine for what they were intended to be used for, why mess with perfection.

bbechtel16
05-30-2003, 04:30 PM
Well, I'm only basing this assumtion on the fact that its a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro to bolt on any other front end onto a 200S, which has the same style trees/forks. I've never owned a Big Red but I have a decent amout of experience on one (my best riding buddy had one for years - he used to tow us out of the mud with it :? ). It looked to me like the Head set was I guess , "beefier" than other Honda trikes to cope with the added heft of the bike and the fork/frame loads from the front rack. I don't know though, this might be a good thing or a bad thing in regards to this question. My only thoughts with bolting on a different front end would be getting the steering stem to actually fit and finding some bearings to work inside the head with the different than stock inside and outside races - I think that the stems from different ATC's might be too small a diameter or too short or even tall (so the shoulders wouldn't be in the right place). Also, what would chaging the front end have to do with making it fit the gate?. I dont know, I'm confused and this post is giving me a headache. In any event I just noticed he said he had 4 other SX's, which leads me to my original statement of "Why?". Big Reds are truely great trikes, and are a perfect machine for what they were intended to be used for, why mess with perfection.

I agree about keeping the Rig Red, I mean, 4 SXs lol, He should get rid of 2 of them and get an R or 350X. If you really want to get rid of the ES though feel free to give it to me, I'll even pick it up for you :)

bbechtel16
05-30-2003, 04:44 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...............350X front end...... Http://www.geocities.com/bbechtel14/250SXfrontforks.txt

Wickedfinger
05-30-2003, 07:43 PM
lol...... man shell out $15 and get some decent handle bars on that thing before you spear yourself!

ATCRYDER
05-31-2003, 12:15 AM
:Pimp :D

bbechtel16
05-31-2003, 12:34 AM
lol...... man shell out $15 and get some decent handle bars on that thing before you spear yourself!

I would if I had any money. Can anyone recommend some good but cheap bars for the 350X front while we're on the subject?

heehawlittle
05-31-2003, 07:56 AM
well boys i had 4 250sx sold one today it was a cherry got 1500.00 but i still have a yard full of 3 wheelers to mess with
3 250sx
1 250es
1 250r
1 185
1 200s training bike

Dirtcrasher
06-01-2003, 07:12 PM
ES has different gear ratios than the SX?????? Not in my Clymer - I've heard this rumor before and want someone to prove this please, show me the gearing change?

The SX is geared low enough, I don't think they made another tranny or output to slow the ES down eben more. But they did use larger tires and wider rims I believe.

bbechtel16
06-01-2003, 09:58 PM
ES has different gear ratios than the SX?????? Not in my Clymer - I've heard this rumor before and want someone to prove this please, show me the gearing change?

The SX is geared low enough, I don't think they made another tranny or output to slow the ES down eben more. But they did use larger tires and wider rims I believe.

The ES DOES have a lower final drive ratio (higher numerically) but its only to compensate for the larger stock tires (22" vs 25") so the effective ratios are the same. I read this somewhere before, it was an ES review I think.

Dirtcrasher
06-02-2003, 07:10 AM
Final drive ratios - this could be true. I'd still like to see it on paper though.

Others have told me in the past that the tranny gears are different and I don't believe they are.