PDA

View Full Version : Worn out 200x clutch basket

Jonathan
12-19-2002, 12:52 AM
I finally got my clutch apart on my 200x and it has groves worn in it. Can I just file these down smooth to make it work right untill I can get a good one or is this a bad idea? If I can find a dealer around here that has a piston and gasket set in stock, then I would really like to ride it over Christmas break.

Mobular
12-19-2002, 01:18 AM
Filing is a really bad idea! The extra clearances will let the clutch plates slam against the basket, and that'll be like asking for a grenade to go off when the fingers finally let go(which won't be long). Get a new or good used one.

TimSr
12-19-2002, 02:00 PM
I would disagree that its a bad idea. Your tolerances will wear bigger but when you file it flat, you will not increase the clearances any more than they already are where the grooves are worn it. Its actually pretty common practice to file them off once or twice before scrapping the basket. As they wear, you do get more slop before the fiber tabs catch, but I dont thing they are any more prone to launch. Especially in this case when it sounds like he is looking at a temporary solution. My R eats clutch baskets, and I grind them off twice before replacing it. the excess slop is harder on the fiber tabs, but by the time Im ready for a basket, the fibers are due to be replaced anyways.

Jonathan
12-19-2002, 03:47 PM
Thank you TimSr, that was the answer I was looking for. Also I have 2 spare 185 motors, I know those have 2 clutches in them, is there any chance that the basket from the non-centrifugal clutch would work on my x?

Dirtcrasher
12-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Mr. Sr. has it covered here, I too have no problem filing the grooves out. I just wouldn't go too crazy on them. It will definately help smooth up your clutch action as the plates get stuck in those grooves. Most prongs failures are from when someone tries to tighten or loosen the basket holding them with a screwdriver rather than breaking from filing them.

jeswinehart
12-19-2002, 09:07 PM
johnnathon,,, not sure if you ebay, but if you do,,, heres one to maybe keep a eye on. still has 5 days left so bid probbly will go higher.

Item # 1875149024

john

Jonathan
12-20-2002, 12:17 AM
Thanks John, but if I can get away with not buying one for a while, I think I'll hold out.

200x Basket
12-20-2002, 01:38 AM
i have filed several cr500 baskets. it will be fine.