PDA

View Full Version : 250es axel question <urgent>

atcmatt
04-24-2004, 10:46 PM
Hey i need to know if the front axel on the 250es is a screw in at one end? It wont damned come out! I hate rust....

Thanks

Matt

renotrikeguy
04-24-2004, 11:21 PM
Yes Matt,

It does have a threaded end . Maybe you should soak the whole bike in WD-40 before you try to take her all the way apart.

jeswinehart
04-25-2004, 04:03 AM
yeah,,, i just had the front axle out of my big red puttung on the drive unit for the trip meter and it come apart real hard too. not the end that threads into the left fork but rather getting the axle back out of the hub.
the spacer inside the hub plus the axle bearings didn't want to let go !

finnaly got it out of there + greased it up a bunch before re-assembly.
i should put a grease zirk in it like i done on my 350x ,,, heck i'd just re-done the big red (frame up going thru ) 3 years ago and ain't been in that much water,,,

john

atcmatt
04-25-2004, 04:15 AM
So let me get this straight....if i want to get the hub off, minus the brake panel, i just whack the axel so it comes out of the spacer? This is really giving me the you know whats and i realyl want to get the fork leg and that off!

Thanks

Matt

jeswinehart
04-25-2004, 04:47 AM
well i better explain this correctly ,,, i sure don't want to be responsable for helping screw up the fork legs or other parts - lol !
the front axle will unscrew out of the left fork (as you sit on the trike , the left side) ,,, you will need to loosen the 4 pinch nuts that are on the right lower fork leg.
and then when if every thing is perfect ,,, you should be able to pull the axle out the right side.
but i had to use a long peice of rod and beat it thru from the left side to drive my axle out the right side.

i would figure that yours ain't been apart in a longgg time so it's gonna be a pain to get it out of there.

john

atcmatt
04-25-2004, 04:54 AM
Yep....

Tried it, i even welded the axel end to the vice and tied using my rear axel as a lever to urn the socket but the welds just broke off the vice, it is so %$# &*@! rusted in, oh yeah before i did all this i heated it up for a good 20 mins while continuously spraying lubricant into it. I guess i will have to pull the hub off (bearing carrier) somehow (any pointers?) and then cut the axel and drill it out. I probably will have to go to a fastner shop and get a new axel.

Maitenance is all that is needed to keep thiongs from freezing up........lazy people.....

Thanks John

Matt

jeswinehart
04-25-2004, 05:33 AM
yep,,, a little maintence will go along way. at least you have a parts trike to rob from ( hope it's goona come apart for ya ).

sounds like it was wayyy over tightened into the left fork leg to start with.
kinda like bottomed out the threads. they don't gotta be very tight ,,, just snug. the pinch plate thing on the other fork with the 4 nuts will keep it from backing out.

good luck matt ,,, i'll say a few curse words for you for support - lol .

john

atcmatt
04-25-2004, 06:27 AM
Thanks John,

Yeh its is great having a parts trike otherwise id be stuck. I cant ge the front axel out of the other 250es either, its worse than the one now. I also cant get the nut off the main headset stem. It will turn, but its VERY hard and it wont loosen as you go any further. Im using some stilsons to undo it but i need something better. On a good note i got those 2 footpeg bolts out today, well i dident, my dad did but there out anyway. Hey John when you went through your red 3 years ago, how did you was all the parts? In a big tub? I washed my 200es parts in a laundry tub with washing detergent but i dont know if mum will let me do it with this one now that she has seen the damage i do....oops..., lol. Maybe ill ask if i can do a special load in the dish washer....do you think most parts would be ok to go into a dish washer? Air box and the like......

Thanks,

Matt

jeswinehart
04-25-2004, 06:02 PM
i sandblasted almost the entire trike matt. i have acess to one at work.
i had to send out the rolling chassis cause it was to big for out company sand blaster. i blasted plastic along with metal.

john

renotrikeguy
04-25-2004, 06:11 PM
Aren't you glad you bought a new project to keep yourself busy Matt? I'd be more than willing to help you take your trike apart but im way over here..

atcmatt
04-25-2004, 07:13 PM
Im going to have everything blasted. Im going to leave the swingarm on the frame beacause i cant get it off. Do you think i should blast the alloy parts, brakes and the like of just wire brush them clean? Of course i would blast them myself with my blaster because its not very powerful but for the frame and that i will get a pro to do it. Im very glad i got this new trike but i just wish it would all come apart!

Matt

renotrikeguy
04-25-2004, 11:14 PM
Now your making me feel bad,. I guess your Red will be done before mine is. Oh well I will just have to pay your brother to help you, that way it will take you longer. ;)

Not really, just make sure you take lots of pictures.

atcmatt
04-26-2004, 03:42 AM
I guess your Red will be done before mine is.

Hell no, not at the rate im going now! I ended up ripping the old angle grinder out and cutting the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro off......I have the fork leg off now atleast. The axel is in 2 pieces, completely useless now. I tried to get the hub off and f*&%$# the bearings, so more money.... i still cant get the balls out of it though. Any tips how too? I had to cut the actual cast alloy on the brake panel to get to the axel.

Here are some pics showing what i mean...has anyone got ANY suggestions?

Pic 3- see how i had to cut about 1cm off the cast alloy on the brake panel...and i still cant punch out the axel or the spacer. I will need t ouse a spacer in there instead now....thats if it ver comes off!

Pic 2- See how rooted the end of the axel is from holding it in the vice and trying to turn it with the sockets....Also notice the bearings arent in their cage but are still there....how do i get em out?

Pic 1- I drilled holes in the leg to put bolt free stuff in it, wish i dident becasue it dident do anything and they look stupid! I will sand off that jb weld stuff and make it smooth.

Thanks for any pointers,

Matt

Dirtcrasher
04-26-2004, 02:23 PM
When this happens you really only have one shot

All front drum ATC's have the same problem - the axle gets stuck or seized inside to the drum bushing and the sleeve next to it. Unfortunately as you smash and heat and cut you ruin more items. Yes a simple dab of grease would have prevented it but thats not your fault.

For me when I get a seized axle or whatever I always get it into a milling machine and drill it dead nuts increasing sizes or using end mills till only a shell remains - not good news if you do not have access to a machine shop but I get out almost 100% of all my rusty POS for years now - as long as it fits in the mill and can be bolted down it is almost foolproof unless the item is hardened which requires carbide drills etc.

A hand drill just cannot drill a hole dead nuts for the inch or so required to free that up - and a drill press isn't much better.

Good luck

atcmatt
04-26-2004, 05:56 PM
Thanks Crasher,

Damn this, im gunna smash it to hell and back! POS, is that sleeve that is inside the brake panel pressed in? Or should it be able to come out aswell???

Thanks,

Matt

renotrikeguy
04-26-2004, 08:51 PM
Aren't you glad you have that parts bike now ? Just think of it like this Matt. When your done you will know every square inch of your trike. You will know what should be replaced in the future, and what you can let slide by.

I still think your gonna be done with your project before I am.
I want to re-ring the 250r and maybe get the other frame ready too.

Chris

atcmatt
04-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Ok been in the backyard all morning wrenching and pounding on that blasted 87! I tried to get the axel off that, whic hwas bodgily done.....ill post a pic maybe later. It came off but i had to take the left fork tube off....one bolt in the tripple tree on the right side is rooted aswell, stripped at the head. Ive got to go out now and cut the end of this axel which i mashed up so it can slide out. Then ill see what happens from there....i still cant get that damn brake panel off either.

Ill keep you posted,

Matt

atcmatt
04-26-2004, 11:09 PM
The axel came off the 87 but its bent. Ill need a new one. I smashed the side of the brake panel, bit off cast alloy broke so ill need a new one of them aswell. New parts are out of the question so ill have to find some secondhand ones, the guy i bought it off in the first place had a parts one aswell (he was a wrecker) so ill see how much he wants for the axel and the brake panel.

Matt

renotrikeguy
04-27-2004, 03:01 PM
Looks like I better find a good hiding place for my Bigred. Don't want Matt to be sneaking around my yard trying to steal my trike :D

marshallfester^australia
04-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Struth, what a flamin night mare Matt, I got all gun hoe when I saw you starting your project but now I think I will sit on the fence and see what troubles you run into! Good luck...........Regards Fester

atcmatt
04-29-2004, 01:45 AM
Gidday Fester,

You shoudl still get into that resto, dont let my troubles get ya down, nothing is impossible. That is the worst problem i have come across so far but ill get over it soemhow. i doubt those side panels are still available but they might be...call honda. Im just glad I have mine. I just got quoted for two brand new taillights and they are 60 bucks each, im probably gunna bite the bullet and buy a set. The front axel is discontinued now too... :( Owell ill go to a bolt shop and get a big bolt :)

Im in sydney (hole town) but we go bush alot cause we own a farm in a place called rylstone in the nsw high country. Thats where i ride my 250es. Im glad you are still going oldschool and not "quadding it". Are you the original owner of your 250es? Have you got any pics? If so send em to atcmatt@optusnet.com.au

Hop to it and get this resto started! If i were you i would hunt around and find soem of those side panels, there are lots of bush wreckers that have old trikes around....get on the phone and call round. I know a guy that lives in port hedland WA that has a 250es for sale, its a bit pricey at 1200 i think, Its not in that good condition but it has one side panel and a fresh coat of paint.

Seya Square,

Matt

marshallfester^australia
04-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Hi Matt, thanks for replying for I am a bit lost in 3 wheeler world and I am just starting to find my way around. The old PIG IN THE BUSH (the 250es) has been in the family since new, it started out with my dad @ brother who where pro fishermen and they use it to spot schools of fish up and down the beach on the pig and radio to the net boats where to come in too, the poor old girl has had more duckings than the witches of Eastwick! It has been left out in the weather, bashed , crashed, towed small boats and left for dead in the back shed because they went out and brought new gear. We nicked named her PIG IN THE BUSH because one day we where all out pig shooting, my brothers all had 4 wheelers now and I was riding the 250 when I left it up on the top ridge to walk down into a hallow to see what the dogs had found, went down with my brothers and there where no dogs about, so my younger brother said he would go back up and have a look around on the 250 to see what had happened, about a minute later we heard these screams PIG IN THE BUSH, PIG IN THE BUSH, we thought he was just yelling at the old 250 but no he came running at us with a pig in hot pursuit and the dogs behind the pig!....You have never seen 3 grown men climb a tree so quick, hence the name PIG N THE BUSH. THe old Pig is rough as guts, no brakes, the exhaust has more holes in it than a rifle target, and the front forks are like pogo sticks, but I love it, it just keeps going and going, it has never had the head off but has had 3 clutch packs in her. Its a wonder she has not broken in half with the rust it has in the frame, but no she keeps going. Any way enough of my dribble, will take some photos and send them to you. Cheers Matt. Regards Fester :beer

atcmatt
04-29-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks Marshall,

Do you have msn messenger? If so cant wait for a chat. How many acres you fellas on up there? How old are you mate? Speak to you soon.

Matt

atcmatt
04-30-2004, 08:24 PM
>BUMP<

Aussie friend reply.....

Matt