PDA

View Full Version : Finished my Tecate oldschool project (pic)

ange
04-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Finally got everything on and ready to go. Still doing a little fine tuning. Overall I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

twgranger
04-22-2004, 01:46 PM
Great job! It looks like new.

ejc042
04-22-2004, 01:47 PM
Looks good. Have you taken it for a test ride yet?

ScottZJ
04-22-2004, 01:55 PM
I love the look....is that a tank bra on it or did you repaint/sand the tank?

Jeb
04-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Ange, thats beautiful! I would love to see a bigger picture!

Where in God's name to you dredge up that JWR number plate in red?

Awesome Tecate!

cliff2302
04-22-2004, 01:58 PM
that looks aweseome!

Yamahammer490
04-22-2004, 02:33 PM
That looks great! I love the old wide front sport trikes.

BigGreenMachine
04-22-2004, 03:35 PM
That looks nuts! I love the red and white scheme you went with. That is indeed a nice job, well done and thanks for getting a pic up. NICE!!!!

ange
04-22-2004, 04:07 PM
It is a NOS ceet tank cover (THANKS TO HAGEN!!)

The JWR # plate..... it started it's life as a green one (pretty sure there never where any red ones made). The screen was broken out, and the frame was almost in three pieces. Got it plastic welded back into one piece.
Krylon Fusion red painted the # plate frame. Put in new mesh (same as the original) and riveted it back together.

Have the carb almost tuned right...it's close. Take's a long time to lean out and rev.. starting to wonder if I have it geared too tall since it take such a long time to wind out.. the thing just wont pick the front wheel up for me.

BigGreenMachine
04-22-2004, 04:12 PM
There were red plates made, I saw an article on a red sleeved downed Tecate with one on it. Looks good.

200xalltheway
04-22-2004, 04:56 PM
SSOO cool!!! AwEsOmE machine.

Trikeaholic
04-22-2004, 08:03 PM
why dont you list all the cool parts on it, or do you want me too?? and what happened to your custom title, and mine for that matter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????

ange
04-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Damn dude, alright.

It started out as a $500 '84 KXT in Mich. (thanks john swinehart!!)
Got it here, it had a bent frame. Got a new frame, and a '85 front end.
Got ahold of the Bassani dude and got the NOS pipe. Richter silencer, UFO # plate, CEET tank cover. Durablue +6 axle, Champion +2" NOS swingarm. Douglas (mitchell) 8" rims w/ 18" rears. A couple of other small things..

On a side note, not all disk brakes on these bikes are the same. The '84 rear caliper is not the same as the '85. They increased the piston size, and also the rear bracket on the axle carrier is different between the '84/85 models. So the brakes don't simply swap over. You have to do a little monkeying to get them to work.

Hope to have it at trikefest.

Jeb
04-23-2004, 10:41 AM
The JWR # plate..... it started it's life as a green one (pretty sure there never where any red ones made). The screen was broken out, and the frame was almost in three pieces. Got it plastic welded back into one piece.
Krylon Fusion red painted the # plate frame. Put in new mesh (same as the original) and riveted it back together....

I have an old add for the JWR plates and it said they were available in Green, Red, & White.

I know the white exists, here's a 200X with one.

If you don't mind ange, please let me know where you got the screen. I'd like to get some black screen.

It looks like you did a quality restoration job on that plate!

GreenLightening
04-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Damn that is a fine tecate. Love that rear swingarm!

trikerider2oo7
04-23-2004, 12:21 PM
awesome bike

ange
04-23-2004, 04:00 PM
If you don't mind ange, please let me know where you got the screen. I'd like to get some black screen.

Jeb,
there was some remaining screen in the one that I had... it looked familiar.
I went to Walmart and looked in the craft section. There it was, a whole bunch a different colors were available. It's some sort of beginner crochet mesh or something. Cost like $.65 for a square.

Trikeaholic
04-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Jeb,
there was some remaining screen in the one that I had... it looked familiar.
I went to Walmart and looked in the craft section. There it was, a whole bunch a different colors were available. It's some sort of beginner crochet mesh or something. Cost like $.65 for a square.

So, it looked familiar, eh?? Are you crocheting now? :D

jeswinehart
04-24-2004, 08:33 AM
wow ,,, nice job ange ! heck it didn't look to shabby to start with .

kinda like that t.v. show ,,, extream make over. can't wait till to see it in person.

john

tmecars
04-24-2004, 09:51 AM
Ok that's it. I want a 1st generation T3 to restore. Great job, man.
T

toyota200x
04-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Hands down that is the best looking tecate I have ever seen. In my mind none out there look better. It looks like you could take it to and track in 1985 and it would fit in perfectly. Great job

Trikeaholic
04-24-2004, 01:21 PM
Im glad to see the positive response to this restore. We really lilke the old-school look and feel of the machines we always drooled over when we were kids. I remember teaching ange to ride on my XR 80 when he was barley able to reach the pegs, he was riding it by himself! We finally were able to get all the cool trikes we wanted! I think it looks spectacular! one of the nicest out there, the combo of aftermarket and attention to detail is fantastic. Great job, its good to see that I was able to learn the boy somethin afterall.!! :D

Jeb
04-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Hey Ange, thanks for letting me know where you got that screen! I went to Wal-Mart Saturday and found it. They do have tons of it in lots of colors. I couldn't find any black though but I did get a sheet of blue because it would look great on the 86 KXT with white numbers.

The only thing I don't like about what I found is that every 10th row is slightly "raised" for easy counting of squares. You can't even really tell unless you look at the surface from an angle and in the sunlight its pretty obvious too. I didn't even notice that until I got home with it. Other than that the screen is EXACTLY the same as the screen in all 4 of my screen plates.

My wife suggested we look at places like "Michaels" and other arts/craft places. Perhaps I can find some black or blue with no raised areas. If not, I will use this blue on a green plate i've got that has a tear in the screen. I've also found industrial suppliers of the plastic screening by searching on the net.

The more I look at your Tecate, the more I miss mine. It was really comparable. It had a 38mm flatslide mikuni, DG exhaust, +2 WestCoast Swingarm, extended axle and old 18x9.5-8 nankang Turf Tamer copies. I had a NOS "take off" red gas-tank & factory rear fender with decals. I couldn't bring my self to "race cut" it like the JWR manual says to do. basically trim off the mud-flap mounts. anyway it was all sold and life goes on. All the years I had it, I couldn't find a red screen plate and i didn't want to paint one of my green ones. Now I have a red screen plate. Anyway my Tri-Z fits the niche now as the Old-School racer with the mods it has.

Here's a pic of what mine looked like back in the 90s and what it was looking like when i was restoring it before i decided to part it.

tecatecrazy
04-26-2004, 04:50 PM
that is a beautiful tecate Ange. by far the best looking 84\84 I have ever seen. even more appealing than the brand new one that sold on ebay a couple of months ago. someday I hope mine will look as nice. great job