PDA

View Full Version : cr125 in my 200x

vartiak15
04-20-2004, 06:36 PM
is it worth it? anyone got pics fo this transplant?? thinking about having the cr125 motor in with the 350x suspension. let me no what ou think about this swap. and will i have more overall power or jsut topend?

yater
04-20-2004, 07:40 PM
The cr125 motor will only be good for top end. A 125 won't lug a dirtbike, much less a trike. May be good for flattrack but not much else.

gasoline and whiskey
04-20-2004, 08:25 PM
I would not recomend it either, it would not be very good as a
trail trike, not enough low end with that motor.

C W.
04-20-2004, 10:42 PM
no go man that that 200 motor you got will rip with some luvin

hondatrikesrule22
04-20-2004, 10:56 PM
it was so popular to do back in the day?If you are going to go mudding with it,then it might not be the best choice,but you are rebuilding her correct?It will be too nice to go trailing with. Those 125s are put out around 30 horsepower,enough to give you a good rush. ;) And, you can always mod it later if you want more power due to a healthy aftermarket.Them 200x motors can't take too much more moddin and then they are a timebomb. I say do it,I think you will be happy with the way it turns out. :D

84250r
04-21-2004, 12:10 AM
an older cr 125 motor would have great power. I say go for it.

yater
04-21-2004, 12:53 AM
I don't care what year it is, a 125 is a 125. By nature, they don't like to be lugged around. If you're looking to scream it at ALL times, you might be ok BUT I don't think it's practical. I get tired of trail riding a 125 dirtbike because the power is just not where I like it. I would think it would be even more disappointing on a trike. I have heard this was a popular build but I assume they were used for MX? Flattrack? You might want to ask oldfart in the sticky "long live 3wheelin' magazine"

Beer_Smurf
04-21-2004, 01:12 AM
Unless you are talking elsinore era you are also looking at a liquid cooled engine with radiatior and so forth.

kdagenais
04-21-2004, 08:33 AM
I mentioned this before but here it goes again. If you get a CR125 engine from a 98 or newer bike you would definitly see huge improvement. Anyone that has riden any of the newer 125cc dirtbikes would say the power is equal to the old 250cc (1992 or older) dirtbikes. The biggest thing I like about the newer bikes are the power displacement is alot more refined and rideable than they use to be. The old bikes where the all or nothing type thing. This is also a stock engine and then if you mod the engine all I have to say is lookout. I realize that finding a new engine will be more expensive since you need basically everything like electronics, carb etc but I think the end result would be worth it. If I where to do a transplant in a 200X this would be the swap I would do. Anyway that is my opinion about this subject.
Good Luck!

Jeb
04-21-2004, 01:02 PM
I would use the latest Honda CR125 engine I could get. That means parts will be available for years to come. Great Project!

vartiak15
04-21-2004, 08:00 PM
well i was planning on getting like a 99 motor and radiators and everthing but then i was thinkin...... i turn 16 in november and i dont have a job and i oly got 2 grand for a car/truck. so i will still be redoing my trike im gettin the frame powdercoated in the summer and then switch everthing over then, so around the end of june it will be done. i could do it know but i got to put school first other wise my trike will get sold according to my dad! but in about a year or two when the 99 and newer motors will be a bit cheeper ill do the switch then. i wish i had parents that would just go out and buy me a new bmw or firebird but what u going to do sh*t happens. so no new motor till sometime after christmas. hopefuly right after but the motors will still be alot around then so i dono. o well thanks for everyones opinon

82atc110
04-23-2004, 09:33 PM
I had to reply to this one, I weighed 210lbs when I sold my CR125 and it had enough shite to put me over a 100' table top. The bike was a 1990 bored 80 over, ported for low end by a respected builder some may not know. It ripped pretty well and I even rode out at Glamis in the sand where power is a major issue. Don't rule out the older motors because parts are still available and they made awsome power. Just my 2 cents but I say do it.

yater
04-23-2004, 09:45 PM
I've ridden dirtbikes since I can remember and still have several. I weigh 145 and a 125 won't cut it for trail riding. I went from a kx 80 to a cr 125 in '93 (I was about 15 at the time). I rode the 125 for 1 summer and I couldn't take it anymore. Climbing hills requires major clutch work/burn (if you ride dirtbikes, there is no arguing this)--I guess you could make do if you only had a 125 but they are not much quicker than the 80cc mx bikes (if ANY)!!