PDA

View Full Version : Where to get chain?

vodavi6346
04-20-2004, 03:04 AM
I am woundering were would be the best place to order a chain for my bike .. Its a 84 tecate .. I don't know how many links .. I just want something cheap i can throw on it temp. .... How many links should i be looking at ?

hondatrikesrule22
04-20-2004, 03:11 AM
Yep, Lowe's home Improvement. In the hardware section, with the nuts and bolts, you can get a 40 rex chain for your bike. It will cost about $23. If it is too long, you can get a tool called a "chain break". It has made my life so much easier. :) Hope this helps.

jakerush
04-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Hey,
I've seen that chain before and wondered about it. Is that just for a tecate or is the 40 rex stuff comparable to 520. I've got a 200x and rockymountain is on backorder, could I use that stuff?

Jake

trikerider2oo7
04-20-2004, 04:01 PM
i got my chain from rockymounatin

hondatrikesrule22
04-20-2004, 04:56 PM
Hey,
I've seen that chain before and wondered about it. Is that just for a tecate or is the 40 rex stuff comparable to 520. I've got a 200x and rockymountain is on backorder, could I use that stuff?

Jake

If your looking for just a plain, cheap chain that will get you going down the road,then yea, this is your chain.Its not a fancy o-ring chain, but it works.No, it is a universal chain.All models of bikes can use it. 40 rex is the size of the chain.Yep, you can use one of these chain on your 200x.Save yourself some money,and time, and go to Lowe's and get a chain. :D

jason200x
04-20-2004, 05:01 PM
or just get a chain off ebay.

200xalltheway
04-20-2004, 09:43 PM
yea, you could check Ebay or go to your local ATV dealer.

nitekrawler
04-20-2004, 10:16 PM
I am woundering were would be the best place to order a chain for my bike .. Its a 84 tecate .. I don't know how many links .. I just want something cheap i can throw on it temp. .... How many links should i be looking at ?

www.PakerYamaha.com I got the X-Ring chain for both bikes for $42 each ask for John R

torp74
04-21-2004, 08:44 PM
If you have a Tractor Supply nearby, you can get 10 feet of 41 for $10. That's a hard deal to beat.

torp

jakerush
04-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Hey guys,

The stuff I found was Roller chain. It had rollers on all of the pins. I had brought my old masterlink with me and the 50 chain matched up to my 520(sorry, if that was already a given, I'm not real sure what the ratings mean.)
I just assumed that roller chain wouldn't work with my sprockets. Did I assume wrong?

Jake

Billy Golightly
04-22-2004, 12:43 PM
Something to keep in mind with any chain that isn't specified for motorcycle use, is that the distance between the pins in each link is more then likely going to be different because of the metric/standard conversion in sizes. This is coming from my own experience with chain bought at hardware stores. You might be able to find the right size stuff but be very careful. If you get some chain that is even just a tiny bit off, bye bye sprockets. The chain will eat them up like it was valve grinding compound.

TimSr
04-22-2004, 03:19 PM
I agree with HondaATC. Chain from tractor places and hardware stores is not metric, and is measured in SAE sizes. It does not match up. It is close enough to work, but is slightly larger than #520, and its the equivilent to running a stretched out chain. If you need it for a weekend, and your sprockets are shot already, youll probably be fine, but Id caution against running it on good sprockets.