PDA

View Full Version : Couple 350X questions.....

350x'inNY
04-18-2004, 01:07 AM
The Go-Go girl makes a wierd sound the first time the clutch is released after it's started at the start of the day. Sounds like the clutch is dry and grabby. Once I drive, the other shifts are fine. I can stop and it will be fine going back into first. Just that first time engaging....

The other thing is I noticed the rear axle nut was loose. I was comparing it to the 'Showgirl' and was like,,, :eek: What damage could have been done with that back like a ¼"??
How tight should it be against the carrier?
Bruce

hrc200x
04-18-2004, 12:39 PM
The smaller outter nut should be torqued to 58-72 ftlb. The skinny large jam nut should be 87-101 ftlb. If it has a tapered bearing carrier it will be alot less than that, usually tapered carriers come with a wave washer, and when that starts to crush that is tight enough, its possible on tapered bearings to tighten it so much that they won't turn any more.

As far as the clutch, I'm not sure, I wonder what the side effects of a grooved clutch basket are. Or maybe the clutch disks are warped? You'd think it would do it every time though.

85_ATC_200S
04-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Is it acting like it's too tight, or is it grinding like it's loose?

350x'inNY
04-18-2004, 02:33 PM
Well, I changed clutch cable on it to a '85 one, cause the guy had a '86 cable run up by the headers cause the engine has a '85 side case. It was all charred cause the 86 cable doesn't have the metal spring around it PLUS I put on the Cobra exhaust which has the larger diameter headers.

The guy I bought it from last fall told me it had a new clutch and cable in it when I got it, which I can verify, cause there's little adjustment that way on the clutch cable, like on my Showgirl which has a new clutch in it.

This is the only way I can explain it. Seems like it's 'dry' that first time it engages, then gets lubbed and is fine after that. Doesn't the clutch basket sit in the oil though? You know how disc brakes can squack that first time you engage them, but are fine there after? Does that make any sense?

Bruce

hrc200x
04-18-2004, 05:05 PM
how long do you let it warm up before you take off and go? Maybe let it warm up 5 min. or so and see if it does it. Did the guy you bought it from seem mechanic worthy? Or could somthing possibly be put together backwards in the clutch? What kind of oil are you using?

bobr
04-18-2004, 10:18 PM
Bruce, My 350X does the sme thing. I took it apart and the clutch was fine. I replaced the throwout bearing. The basket was not grooved. The plates and discs were not worn. The cable is new. I'm no longer concerned, but probably the fiber discs are making the noise. Bob

350x'inNY
04-18-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks Bob.... that makes me feel better! Again, it's only the first time I engage it after starting. I'm going to check out the oil closely before my next ride, and let it warm up longer like suggested above and go from there. Got to go back to work tomorrow... Easter break is finally over! :(

Bruce

P.S. I use the oil recommended in the Honda Manual... 10W40 SE/SF Rating. I had just changed that and the oil filter when I rode around New Years. Haven't really ridden it much until having this week off.

RacerRichie
04-19-2004, 08:07 AM
one more vote for the throwout or idle clutch bearing..-RR