PDA

View Full Version : 84 250r possessed by demons

Mrlockdown
04-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Just picked up my 84 250r from the shipping dock. Get it home and put oil in the crank case mix up some gas and look world here I come right?
Nope kick kick kick kick kick kick nothing.
Ok gas pouring out of carb not good. Hmmmm float stuck? pull carb clean it up blow it out with compressed air ask it nice to please work reinstall.
Kick Kick Kick Kick Kick.....&^%%#^#^$%&$%&$$&*$* nothing.
Ok pull plug looks good ground against head kick kick no spark.
Well F$ck ok let see hear play follow the wires ok check....check whoa wait a minute whats this hmmmm some sort of aftermarket kill switch. Ok pull switch to the on position ground plug Whooo hooo got spark!!!!!!!!!!!
Kick Kick Kick Kick Kick repeat 100 times @%#$^#$^#^6!!!!!!!!!!! Nothing!!!
Ok replace plug with new. Pull start will truck tried to start form time to time if the throttle is held slightly open. Dammit girlfriend has to goto work no one left to drive truck.
Ok lets get silly pull head wow seller didnt lie fresh top end cyclinder still cross hatched. Torque head back down hmmm mabey rings not sealing?
Trusty leak down compression gauge to the rescue WTF? specs out less then 1% Ok KICK KICK KICK KICK Slip ouch dammit hop around KICK!!!! Fire dies 3 seconds later.
Ok its now 14 hours later 18 beers and a sunburn and bum right ankle later and all I can get is fire and then run sort of for 15 seconds max then it dies what am I missing? Do i need a priest? This is my first two stroke and I know nothing about them I am car guy and big bore thumpers I am lost?
Thank you in advance for any help even if you just point and laugh.

TeCaTe_MaN
04-18-2004, 12:05 AM
hmm....sounds like a pretty serious problem...or something really stupid...sounds kinda like you have a messed up crank seal? leaking air in or out...i may be wrong..but thats what it sounds like to me..

J.D.
04-18-2004, 12:08 AM
Man this sounds like some problem....did you clean the rest of the carb out while you were in there? Make your you have good fuel flow to the carb? You said you put fresh fuel and oil in so hmm...it's either spark or fuel man.....take your pic. I would take my fuel supply line off to the carb, turn my petcock on, and make sure a nice steady stream of gas comes out. If that checks good, it's time to start looking at electrical compenents....coil, stator, CDI, etc. Good luck.

EDIT: also something else to check would be your grounds. T_Man, he said he did a leakdown test and it was good, means his crank seals are good ;)

TeCaTe_MaN
04-18-2004, 12:14 AM
hmm....musta missed that i just replied saying that because thats what it sounded like to me...maybe a loose conection too...when it starts it could vibrate it loose or something...just go over it...its either gas, air, or spark

Mrlockdown
04-18-2004, 03:05 AM
One of the people in the chat room stated that he thinks its the reeds?
what do you guys think?

nitekrawler
04-18-2004, 07:25 AM
What about the jets? Are they clogged in the carb? Also, check the coil wire. Had a bad coil wire do the SAME THING to me. It showed spark and everything. Daughter would ride it for sometimes 1min and die, or 5min and die, sometimes, wouldn't even kick. Replaced the wire and daughter's been riding it for 2 yrs now :D

nitekrawler
04-18-2004, 07:29 AM
Forgot. Clean the air filter? Took son's Atc home and air filter crumbled in my hand, SERIOUSLY. I gave you three things to try, good luck :D

jay
04-18-2004, 09:23 AM
i've been there. 4 stroke man here, 2 strokes are very tempermental till you get them figured out. it's a good thing the BIG hammer wasn't around when mine was giving me trouble. keep at it though ,the payoff is great.
i actually had a great day on mine yesterday. blasting all over the place till i blew the front tire out in 5th gear almost wound out. they are balls fast, don't give up

Billy Bob
04-18-2004, 10:05 PM
I would check the reeds out, if the reeds are worn and not seating right it will throw the gas back into the carb, and likely cause it to overflow. Just a suggestion, something to take into consideration when troubleshooting....

BIG BAD RED
04-19-2004, 07:14 AM
check trailprotrailpro intake boot for cracks...sounds like somthign from shipping it tho...maters how far it came from might need different jets if it has come down or up that many meters above sea leve..

Mrlockdown
04-20-2004, 01:51 AM
Here is the deal she is still firing but want stay running.
The wiring seems to be all spliced and hacked but I am getting a good fat blue spark.
Carb is cleaner then brand new and I am getting fuel. Reeds looked like crap and the boot the covered the reed cage had a hose fitting that ran like 5/8 rubber line up to a silver canister secured under the neck of the frame WTF is that?
I just dont get it Got Fuel,Got Spark,Got Compression why wont she run?
Thanks for your help guys and I'll keep plugin away and let you know what happens.

jeswinehart
04-20-2004, 06:46 AM
i remember a small hose off the bottom of the reed cage but it didn't go to anything up front. not sure where it did go but it certanly wasn't very big either.
my clymer manual, of course, don't have any reference about it.

john

smokinwrench
04-20-2004, 08:14 AM
I am pretty sure that is a boost bottle.

Beer_Smurf
04-20-2004, 07:02 PM
Sounds like some interesting not standard stuff plumbed into the manifold.
Even a small air leak can ruin your idle mixture and give you problems.

Beer_Smurf
04-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Also, Where are you?