PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Tri-z ?'s

twgranger
04-16-2004, 09:00 PM
First question is when i put it on the back of my truck to go riding and then take it off the truck i have to change the plug everytime because it is flooded. I had the carb cleaned and i shut the gas off everytime i load it up.

Second question is i cannot get it to idle. It will flood and then die. I have messed with the screw but it does nothing.

Third question is on my muffler there is alot of oil on the tip of it, is this normal or is it running to rich? Well i think that is it for now. :confused:

84250r
04-16-2004, 09:06 PM
This is what ive heard....A properly tuned 2 stroke carb will not make it idle which = better accelaration. :confused:

twgranger
04-16-2004, 09:13 PM
This is what ive heard....A properly tuned 2 stroke carb will not make it idle which = better accelaration. :confused:So this is a good thing? :confused: Does your Z idle at all?

J.D.
04-16-2004, 10:55 PM
I have never been able to get mine to idle good. Oil on the muffler is normal. And I can't answer your first question, other than to tell you to turn your fuel petcocks off.

AirManCam
04-16-2004, 11:26 PM
I would drain the bowl on the carb also, that way there is absolutely no gas in the carb

schuhboy
04-17-2004, 06:41 PM
I have worked on 2 strokes for the last 17 yrs at a dealership. Tri-z's will idle if properly setup. Sounds like the needle and seat is screwed up. A leaking needle valve will give all three problems. The other thing often overlooked is the oil you are using. Buy a good quality oil (bel-ray, klotz, yamaha 2-r) not super store oil (penzoil, wolf's head, etc..). My buddy went through the same crap with his 250R, he finally listened and switched oils and he never had to replace the plug to get it started again. If I can help drop me an e-mail. Good Luck!
Steve

twgranger
04-17-2004, 06:47 PM
I am running Klotz R50 synthetic oil 50:1

twgranger
04-17-2004, 07:06 PM
What if i just bought a Dial a Jet, Would that fix my problem?

Groundworx
04-17-2004, 11:32 PM
My Z didn't want to idle either when I bought it. My Z is piped though and that can affect your jetting. It sounds like on the plug fouling, make sure your petcock is actually working when you turn it on and off. If it is working and still flooding, I would turn the petcock off and let if run until it runs out of gas. If it still does it, keep quite a bit of plugs handy. The oil on the silencer is normal. Nothing to worry about there.

TeCaTe_MaN
04-18-2004, 12:08 AM
definately sounds like a carbuerator problem then...try going thru it and cleaning everything...maybe your floats are stuck..

Yamahammer490
04-19-2004, 01:55 PM
Check your needle seat in the carb. Mine was bad and it would flood when it sat for more than a day or two. I fixed it and it hasn't flooded since.

As for idling, mine idles great after about 30 seconds when cold. Getting a two stroke to idle properly can require some fiddling, but even with a pipe it should idle. When I bought it the kid told me that "racers don't idle" because he couldn't figure out the jetting and was over compensating for the bad needle seat, I think.

Good luck. If I can help let me know.

03 ORANGE SHEE
04-19-2004, 10:29 PM
i sent ya a pm

J.D.
04-20-2004, 12:15 AM
When you say needle seat, are you referring to the thing that slides in the main jet, or the thing that allows fuel to flow in and out?

plkmonster2
04-20-2004, 12:43 AM
SSJ3, the needle and seat is the fuel valve apparatus. It's what the float attaches to. The other thing is just the needle. I don't think the part it goes into is replaceable, but the jet is. If the needle and seat for fuel flow is bad, it will stick open, but on a z, the fuel is below the carb, so it shouldn't flood, should it? Or does the pump still push fuel through? When running though, it can cause excess gas to flow into the carb, and it is pushed up through the jet.

J.D.
04-20-2004, 12:49 AM
You would think it wouldn't flood, but mine flooded out on me the other day. Left both fuel valves on and when I went to start it and heard something, a bunch of gas came out the exhaust!!! I was mad.

J.D.
04-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Also something else. Could it just be that my floats are mis-adjusted? Because the other day I was blowing through the fuel inlet, pushed the float up, and I couldn't blow it anymore. I think it's probably fine just need to ajust the float level a bit eh? Anyone know how to do that?(I mean I know how to change the level, bend the tab....but how do I set it to the RIGHT position?)

plkmonster2
04-20-2004, 01:46 AM
I'm sure the manual states the right position of where the floats should be when they shut off...They should be below the overflow, and they shouldn't bottom out before they seal.

plkmonster2
04-20-2004, 01:50 AM
Also, maybe when the gas heats up, it creates too much pressure. I believe this may be you problem. When the gas shakes around, it gets highly pressurized. Just shake a gas can, and then open it. The floats can't hold back that high pressure, and they will let the gas by, flowing it into the carb, and into the cylinder. I think the real fualt may be the pressure release system on that tank, because it is onder the seat, and not properly vented.. I do believe this is the main cause. Open your gas cap a bit, and I'm sure you'll hear the pressure.

J.D.
04-20-2004, 10:28 PM
Well I'll be an SOB. I think it is the float that's causing my hard-start problem. Last time before I shut the Z off, I turned the gas off for about 10 seconds. Went out just a min ago, choked it, started up 3rd kick. Any other time, it would take about 25-30 kicks of flooring it to make it start. Maybe my stator wasn't bad after all? Hmmmmmm.....