PDA

View Full Version : Tecate riders i have some questions.. mik6,,holic,,jeb

freaksfix
04-10-2004, 11:03 PM
Well Ive been a die hard Honda man for awhile now,,,, but a had some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket and I bought something I never liked,,,, a Kawasaki...

Its an 85 Tecate with a DG pipe and a clamp on K&N,,, I dont know if there is any internal work..... So with that in mind.... How sould this compare to a stock 86 ATC250R? It seems like this Tecate is just completely SICK!! I took it across the street into the field and tried to hammer threw the gears before I hit the trails with it,,,, it took all i had to keep the front end down and stay on the bike it has a nasty power band.. I brought it home and took the 250R out instead,,, i dont think there is anyway to trail ride that bike,,,, well not like i can on the 250R in the tight woods... Do any of you guys do hard tight trail riding on a fat tire t3????

Is it the short wheel base and the fat front tire that make these bike's like this or is this one just sick.... When i rode Mike's (mik6) 86/87 at trike fest it pulled real hard but not like this,,, im not sure if its pulling that hard or that im so use to the feel and easier controll of the 250R... And when Holic rode my 250R he said it was "scarry fast" with that coming from a fat tire T3 rider it makes me confused about my new T3..... Maybe i need a local T3 rider to come and take it for spin?? For now i'll keep it in fast straight line passes... lol

All so what size plug should it have in it? It has a NGK bkr5e what in the hell is that? Having the #5 im assuming its real hot,,, but after doing a plug check its a golden brown.....

Thanks Matt

TeCaTe_MaN
04-10-2004, 11:29 PM
sounds like you got lucky and found one with some goodies on it and a like-new runner probrably...an easy thing to check for is a port & polish...i know one of the best things to do to a tecate is a port & polish but thats just what ive heard...

pics!! 8)

freaksfix
04-10-2004, 11:53 PM
no pics yet... but soon.. I got it off the board..

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=21786

is has a dura blue axle on it too but its too wide for the trails...

TeCaTe_MaN
04-11-2004, 01:34 AM
youll like it alot...tecate's are great bikes...

ange
04-11-2004, 01:46 AM
Spark plug: B8ES gapped at .7-.8mm (.028-.032)

Holic's (mine) I wouldn't ride in the woods. My new one either. I rather drive a nice smooth 4 stroke 'round holics house.

250r's definately have a smoother, more progressive powerband. The T3's hit pretty hard, and pretty high up in the revs.

MIK6
04-11-2004, 07:29 AM
T3s are alot harder hitting than R's are. Mine was WAY down on power at TF03. It was prob only running at about 65% of what it is capable of. The crank seals were really causing trouble. The 84/85s have no powervalves so the lowend is harder to use in the woods than the 86/87. T3s like to rev to the moon.
My 87 and my 86 motors come apart as soon as I get off these streight 12 hour nites. It has been 28 in a row so far, I hope not to much more than a week or 2 left. once I am off I will have to spin by and see it.
The new T3 is not a pink framed 85 is it????? I have been looking for it for a few years. My first T3 was a pink framed 85, I misses it a few weeks ago, I know its still in the area.

MIK6 / Mike

Trikeaholic
04-11-2004, 07:52 AM
hey freak, you didnt take the 85 I brought to trikefest last year for a spin?? I thought you would have. Hagen was riding it mostly, or mik6 also rode it alot. I think Dyno and his buddy also took it for a ride. It is a pretty quick bike, but as far as keeping the front end down, its not so bad. I do remember Hagen saying "this is the fastest thing I have ridden all weekend" but mostly he was piloting a 350X around. Our 85 hasnt run since trikefest, when I think it developed an air leak or something. Its usually a garage queen anyway, so there it sits. It is fast, it would easily beat my 83 R, before the rebuild, now, I would like to see how they compare, its probably still faster, but by how much is what I would like to see. Im sure the 83 would be much closer to it now with all the mods.

Jeb
04-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Freaks, it sounds like your KXT is running exactly like it should.

I used to trail ride my 84 KXT all the time. I think the stock chassis is a little on the short side. Mine had a DG pipe among other mods. Also I had a +2 swingarm on mine and it really helped. become intimate with the clutch. If your going to trail ride it, you'll probably want to dial it in some. Gear it down and put some flat profile 20" rear tires on it. I never had a problem with the fat front tire. the skinny forks are a little wimpy and the 84 front drum brake is one of lifes great mysteries. But you don't have that problem since 85 is disc. I love Tecates, but it will probably be tough to get used to it. You probably will not ever prefer it to an 86 250R for woods riding.

Reading your post help to remind me how I miss the feeling i used to get when I'd get into an open area and pin my 84 KXT's throttle to the stops. As you said, sick best describes it. incredible mid range and top end.

TeCaTe_MaN
04-12-2004, 04:03 PM
well now you have a woods bike, and a dune bike for tearing it up in the sand....

Billy Golightly
04-12-2004, 04:15 PM
I remember when I first got my tecate, Jeb and MIK6 were telling me about how they scream on the topend. I was just kinda cruising around the yard, I went down the drive way, and on the way back up I cracked the throttle, and I started to think to myself "Man this thing is lame" but before I could complete the thought it got into the powerband and damn near slung the rubber off the wheels! They sure are light switch effect.

freaksfix
04-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Im getting a little more use to it.... crank seals do make quite a differance my one R needs them,, so i rode the other it was like night and day..... sorry mike no pink frame... but yeah give me a call if ya wanna swing by... never got a chance to ride your KXT Holic, or your 175.. you said something about no drunken dirtballs riding them and getting the seats dirty...LOL...

I might be selling the KXT, 1 of my 250R's, the 350X, and my Merc... I have a hard on for another TRX250R + I wanna do some harescrambles this year... Dont worry fella's I wont be trikeless I'll be keeping the Big Red, my 250R, the boy's 70, the converted CB360 and my newest addition the beater YTM175...