PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone made their own expansion chamber?

hondatrikesrule22
04-06-2004, 05:14 PM
I am asking this because I am building a drag pipe for the zinger. I want to see everyone elses to make sure mine isn't the worst looking one. :D Send pics to golvey@sbcglobal.net. Oh yeah, just a 8" pipe is going to be after the chamber...NO mufflers! :twisted:

P.S. Thought I would update on the zinger,It needs money I don't have,so I am putting it on the back of my go-kart,like Kawasaki's T-rex.

Xowner
04-06-2004, 05:58 PM
dude lol i never made one but send me a pic i wanna see it!

ste-pel
04-06-2004, 09:23 PM
me too

hondatrikesrule22
04-06-2004, 10:08 PM
me too

Pics of the pipe? Or the whole project?

ste-pel
04-06-2004, 10:41 PM
me too

Pics of the pipe? Or the whole project?

bothe

Yamahammer490
04-06-2004, 10:41 PM
I've never made one but I have thought about it a few times and done a little research. It's important to understand that a two stroke engine requires a more complex exhaust system to get the most power. Unlike a four stroke, a straight pipe with no muffler doesn't make the most power. In fact, a two stroke often looses power when the muffler isn't providing the proper back pressure because it needs repacking.

The web site below has tons of articles on two stroke and expansion chamber design, including some software that will give you the shape and size you need.

http://www.macdizzy.com/2stroke.htm

Good luck with the project. Making a proper expansion chamber is sort of a black art, but please keep us posted.

hondatrikesrule22
04-06-2004, 11:41 PM
Thanks...it should not be that hard to do.

I did some research on the tuned pipes, and I drew my measurements and pictures and crap. It may not be a finely tuned racing pipe when its done, but anypipe beats the stocker(1" pipe with a huge muffler. :rolleyes: ). Yeah, I actually would like to run a muffler of some sort,any ideas? Oh yeah, how much is sheet metal? It needs to be durable but bendable. thanx