PDA

View Full Version : Cold Start Kit???

atcmatt
04-01-2004, 07:25 AM
Ive been hearing about these. Can anyone give me any insight? What year 250es' came stock with it???

Thanks,

Matt

ScottZJ
04-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Here is a post on the other board that might be helpful. I do believe that the 87 250SX and 87 250ES both came equiped with them from the factory. But you can add it to your for around 50$.

http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12569&highlight=cold+st art

atcmatt
04-02-2004, 02:56 AM
God Dammit! I was pulling my carby apart today off the 87 and i tried to screw out, with a scew driver the starter jet. Of course it snapped off at the top and so did some of the carby casting. I filed it down so the carby was flush with the top of the jet. Do you think it will still be ok??? Can you just buy that bigger jet? Im getting an 85 bigred and want to put this gear on. I already have all those pipes and clamps and stuff.

Thanks,

Matt

jeswinehart
04-02-2004, 06:13 AM
i can't log onto ScottZJ post ( ain't a member ) but it's probbly gonna say what i am gonna say.
the late sx/es 85 modles come out of the factory with the "cold start"
upgrade in stalled ,,, probbly after september of 85
all 86 and 87 modles had the carb up dates as they went out the factory door.

john

atcmatt
04-02-2004, 06:48 AM
Hey John,

I dont need that frame piece anymore, that 87 is going to be my parts bike! I have a 1985 250es on its way here now! Yay, thanks for the offer and the manual scans, i rebuilt that carb today too.....

Now im just hoping my 85 250es is made after september, i want a cold start kit! Also do you have a speedo on your 250es?

Thanks Again,

Matt

ScottZJ
04-02-2004, 07:03 AM
Sorry I didnt think about that. Here is the post but no pics since the pic thingy isnt working.

Well after a dozen or so phone calls I found a Honda dealer that had part # 06161-HA0-305 in stock. This kit has been discontinued by Honda, so the only way to get one is to find a dealer that still has on the shelf. I found this at Vernes Honda in Antigo, WI. The kit comes with no instructions but Scott at the dealership was cool and made a copy of the bulletin for me. For those that arent familiar with this kit it was the subject of a service bulletin dated November 1985 and updated in February 1986. It addresses a hard start when cold condition on the 1985 ATC250SX and ES (Big Red). It consists of a new starter jet and a number of vacuum hoses, tees, clamps and a bracket. The trickiest part of the upgrade is trying to pull the old starter jet out of the carb without damaging the carb body. This is done by screwing a sheetmetal screw into the old jet and slowly working it out of the carb. The new jet is tapped in, the hoses and tees are added and voila you have (or should have) a good cold starting carburetor. The difference in jet hole size is obvious. I saw a post once where sombody mentioned drilling out the jet. The hole is still small enough that drilling the old one out to a larger size would be a crapshoot. Also, there would be debris from the drilling that would get in the carb. Anyway, enough of me, heres some pics of the kit.

jeswinehart
04-02-2004, 07:25 PM
you are very welcome matt. don't mind helping at all.
i hope the 85 modle has good frame for you. as far as speedo ,,, nope.
freaksfix and i had a complete odometer for the sx/bigreds but we went the capitlist way and ebayed the parts together ( we then donated all the proceeds to 3www ).

keep us updated on your es adventures matt.

john

atcmatt
04-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Ok last nite i went to transfer the money into the guys account (atv dealer/wrecker) and the bank account numbert had to many digits. So i rang him today and he gave me the right number......anyway i was speaking to him and he said the frame looks good, lots of black paint, bit of rust coming through. Im going to paint it anyway. He started it and it ran ok. Just hope that sprag clutch is still good for a while....He said the fenders had been cracked but had been plastic welded. Sounds good. Should be on its way here soon.

Matt

jeswinehart
04-02-2004, 10:28 PM
matt,,, i gotta ask you,,, what in the wide, wide world of sports is that thing in your avatar pic ,,, dingo dog ???

john

renotrikeguy
04-02-2004, 10:54 PM
I think it's his little brothers school photo.

350x'inNY
04-02-2004, 11:10 PM
Matt...

I made up my own Cold Weather Start Kit for my 350X's It's called a ceramic-heater-on-the-footpeg-blowing-on-the-motor-for-15-minutes! It works wonders! :D

Seriously... hope you get the parts you want. There was just a tripometer kit on eBay for the nonsports bikes. It had the hard part to find... the gearbox. I have a spare speedo face; it's even in KPM's for our metric system friends! Someone had a 'Buy-It'Now' on a complete speedo kit for a TRX300/350 that I bought out of C eh N eh D eh, but it wouldn't fit on my sisters quad.

Bruce

atcmatt
04-02-2004, 11:43 PM
:D at 350x'nNY that would be to inconvenient for me.....lol

That is a pig in my avatar John, feral aussie pig, fun to hunt!

I should ge ta new avatar but i dont know how to resize pics.

No Chris that is not my brothers photo....he is far more ugly...

Matt