PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Trike slip out of Gear?

jdparsons1
03-31-2004, 10:44 PM
'85 ATC 110. Shift from 2nd to 3rd and some times it slips back into neutral. Also when shifting from neutral to 1st it wont go into gear and then i have to shift it again and its fine.

85_ATC_200S
03-31-2004, 10:55 PM
Sounds like you just need to tighten your clutch plates, on the oil side there is a bolt and a nut, turn off your trike, loosen the bolt, and tighten the bolt with a flathead screwdriver untill you get resistance, then turn it half a turn counter clockweise and tighten the nut back up, but qwhen your doing that use a wrench and make sure the bolt doesn't move with the nut. By the way, i'm heading to toledo tommarow night, whereabouts are you?

jdparsons1
03-31-2004, 11:49 PM
Toledo, OH

The clymer manual i have says to turn it in one full turn clockwise and then turn it counterclockwise until i feel resistance and then 1/8 turn clockwise again. Sounds opposite to what you described.

85_ATC_200S
03-31-2004, 11:53 PM
it pry is, i don't have my manual with me right now, but what you read in the manual is what you gotta do. If that doesn't work then you might need a new 1'st and 2nd gear

Howdy
04-01-2004, 09:21 AM
'85 ATC 110. Shift from 2nd to 3rd and some times it slips back into neutral. Also when shifting from neutral to 1st it wont go into gear and then i have to shift it again and its fine.

Most of the time when this happens the stopper pawl breaks at the bend. See #1 in the picture below.

The second most likely thing I have found is the one bolt comes loose. See #2 in the picture below.
Http://www.3wheelerworld.com/HelpFiles/90ccThru125ccIinsideView2.jpg

To me these are easy fixes. First timers it may take 1-2 hours.
Howdy

85 250sx
04-01-2004, 11:38 PM
I have a 85 250sx that does the same would this procedure work for me too?

Howdy
04-02-2004, 09:36 AM
I have a 85 250sx that does the same would this procedure work for me too?

The 250cc motor ( sx & es ) is a lot different. The most likely problem ( shifting ) with it is either the return spring pin ( #8 Below ) broke or the shifter bolt ( #21 Below ) has come loose or broke.
These are located inside the left side case. For a first timer this should take less than 1 Hour to fix. I fixed 3wheelerforevers 250sx in 20 minutes ( broken pin ).

I hope this helps. ;)
Howdy

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/HelpFiles/250sxShiftingAssembly.jpg

kdagenais
05-12-2004, 09:28 PM
The 250cc motor ( sx & es ) is a lot different. The most likely problem ( shifting ) with it is either the return spring pin ( #8 Below ) broke or the shifter bolt ( #21 Below ) has come loose or broke.
These are located inside the left side case. For a first timer this should take less than 1 Hour to fix. I fixed 3wheelerforevers 250sx in 20 minutes ( broken pin ).

I hope this helps. ;)
Howdy

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/HelpFiles/250sxShiftingAssembly.jpg

Howdy,
My 250SX started having problems when downshifting it sticks and I have to pull it up with my foot. Do you think that the return spring pin is the culprit in my case also?
If so to repair this does only the left crankcase cover have to come off or both sides?
Thanks In Advance,

Howdy
05-13-2004, 08:13 AM
Howdy,
My 250SX started having problems when downshifting it sticks and I have to pull it up with my foot. Do you think that the return spring pin is the culprit in my case also?
If so to repair this does only the left crankcase cover have to come off or both sides?
Thanks In Advance,

This could be a couple different things.
If it is just sticking when down shifting then I would say the one little bracket is broken. This would be part #6.

It could just be a broken return spring pin.

One thing to check or do before tearing into the motor is to try adjusting the clutch ( right side case ). There is a little adjustment bolt right behind the domed part. If adjusting the clutch doesn't help then you will moist likely need to remove the Left side cover. This should be the only cover you would need to remove to fix this problem.

Howdy

kdagenais
05-13-2004, 09:02 AM
Thank You, Howdy!
Looks like I am going in again! I already did the clutch adjustment so that rules that one out and the clutch is only 6 months old. So I will have to tear it apart and see what I got. At least I know what side I need to look at.