PDA

View Full Version : 1983 YTM200 fork seals

trimoto
03-31-2004, 05:48 PM
My Tri-motos forks have been out of oil for a while...could be 10 year for all I know...I just got it in Oct.
Has anyone tore apart a '83 ytm200 fork before? If you have any advice that would be nice. I have a manual, and just bought new seals....gonna take it apart next week.
THANKS!!!!
I will also be putting in new wheel (rear) bearings too. again, any insight of what I may be up against would be appreciated.
-Brian

yamaha200E
03-31-2004, 10:23 PM
i have the same thing. and if thats the shaft drive good luck man! took me 2weeks to figure it out how to get the darn axel outlol. igf u got the manual it wont be to bad. im gettin ready to fix my forks to same thing wrong witht them. good luck man

trimoto
04-01-2004, 09:35 AM
I will keep you posted with any surprises that arise with the forks. and I am lucky with the rear axle...its a chain drive, looks pretty simple to take apart.
the bearings and seals should be delivered to my door today or tomorrow. as soon as they get here...it time to work.

350x'inNY
04-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Brian....

Just got a Yamaha Factory Repair Manual in the mail yesterday.... it has all the supplements for the 200E , 200ER, 225DX, 225DRN and 225DXS. Plus I have a Clymer Manual for the 200's and 225's. I will be working on forks too. Both manuals have very detailed steps and pics of tearing them down. Where did you get your parts for the seals and bearings?

I got all the parts I need to bolt that second 200ERN together and...... I got talked into picking up a 225DX too! The 225DX has a small ton of extra parts with it, even a DuraBlue extended rear axle! I am going to pick them up Saturday North of Watertown if you want to go along for the ride.

I know you have 2 full weeks in Dville, but I have class to teach next Monday and Tuesday. We need to get together and do some wrenchin and riding!

Bruce

yamahaman89
04-01-2004, 04:33 PM
:) i have a tri-moto 200 but to tell u the truth i never had a 3 wheeler with shocks so i didnt know u had to put oil in the shocks how do u do it :?:

350x'inNY
04-02-2004, 02:46 AM
Unfortunately, it's not as easy as on my 350X's. There is not a drain plug on the bottom, so you need have to remove the fork from the triple tree and pour it out the top. To take the top apart, pull off the black rubber piece if you still have it. It then says to push down on the top (inside the tube) and remove the ring clip inside. It then should pop the top and springs out the top of the fork. Other than that, I haven't got that far yet! ;)

Bruce

trimoto
04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
Got her apart....and found that the right fork is bent! what a drag. new fork seals isnt gonna help me now!
:'(

Bokchoi
01-11-2006, 10:44 PM
I recently removed the forks from my YTM200K with the gaol of replacing the seals and bushings, I found the forks were both badly bent. The first thing I did was straighten the forks in the press with Vee blocks, dial indicator and aluminum plates to avoid marring chrome. I had to drill and tap the end plugs and suck them out with a bolt and washers. The rubber plugs were missing and water accumulates and rusts to inner bore of stem. now I am at a loss as to sperating the inner tube from main body. and parts are dicontinued www.bikebandit.com