PDA

View Full Version : tri z max vertical drop!?

nipper
03-31-2004, 11:02 AM
hi i was wondering what the max and safe hight i could drop vertically on my z without without braking anything is?
what would i brake? the axcell carrior?
reason being i can take a major short cut to the gararge if i take an vertical 10 foot jump!!
thx
nipps

Jeb
03-31-2004, 01:23 PM
Hey, I've got the old dirtbike/dirtwheels "the video". On it they say to keep your verticle ledge drops on ATVs, such as off a straight creek bank or something, to 4-5 feet max. Shows a guy doing it on a 200X.

a 10ft drop, depending on how you landed could bend the axle, crack the swingarm, blow the shock, or it might take it just fine.

Good Luck! :shock:

nipper
03-31-2004, 01:34 PM
well i would think there to be at least a couple of foot differentce between the 200x jumping hight n the tri z!!? i might be wrong though but the z has more suspention travel!!
any one know how far i can drop with a z (or an 250r or tecate?)?
thx for the info
nipps

200xman
03-31-2004, 01:45 PM
Your weight will have an effect on how far you can drop too. The lighter you are , the better for the machine. Building some sort of landing ramp will help as well.

XFR_Dozer
03-31-2004, 02:11 PM
show us a pic of the drop

nipper
03-31-2004, 02:34 PM
haven't got a digital camera!
but imagin a field with an suddent concreat suported vertical side with a drop of about 10 ft onto an gravel track. carn't floor it cos hav got a 7 foot gravel track to land on otherwise i got another 6 foot drop into a pond!! :x
any one had any experiances with vertical drops on a z, r or tecate?
thx nipps

trikerider2oo7
03-31-2004, 05:05 PM
try it and see if your bike can make it

md1985250r
03-31-2004, 05:24 PM
try it and see if your bike can make it

LMAO......i am with trikerider......let us know if your trike breaks....... :?

jakerush
03-31-2004, 05:38 PM
HA HA, there's gotta be some research grant money floatin' somewhere around the ol' gov'ment for trike experiments

Red Rider
03-31-2004, 06:25 PM
After I read Dirt Wheels test on the 86 R, I used to do those all the time on my 86 R. In the article, I believe they were testing the suspension by jumping off of an 8' cliff. I used to jump quite a bit, and my swingarm was plagued with cracks, usually around the rear carrier clamp bolts. I'm on my 3rd swingarm now and have toned it down quite a bit since installing it.

nipper
03-31-2004, 06:43 PM
lol well sorry to disapoint but i don't recon i' gona try this jump!!! by the sounds of it 6 foot is about the limmet!! i might be able to jump into the pond!! its only 3 foot deep but its 16 foot to it!! :( when i get another tri z in october i might give it a try!!! ;) will have to video it!! lol
my z is havin new swigarm baring installed at the moment n i swair i'm getting withdrawal symptoms!!! (peddle around on little brother crysical making engine noises!!! joke :D )
thx for all your info
nipps

YAMAHA_Jim
03-31-2004, 08:36 PM
Man,,thats some shortcut. How far is the long way?
If i was jumping off 10' vert onto flat ground,I'd worry more about my bones then the suspension on my machine.I dont think footpeg bolts are strong enough to take an impact like that,,imagine your feet slamming into the ground,then your testiculars coming down into the gastank or seat :oops: . I've jumped my blaster from 6'-7' vertical cliffs. I look to make sure i can land on a downhill before I jump.
If you decide to do it,,,get it on film so we can all see :)

hondaATCman
03-31-2004, 10:01 PM
My guess is that since you don't have hardly any room to make a nice clean jump you're going to go head over heels and land on your face and a 250-300? lb. trike land on top of you. :shock:

I think 10 ft. is a little too much though. I just looked up at my ceiling which is 8 ft. and it would be a very high jump. Add 2 feet to that and you'll be breakin stuff!!

J.D.
03-31-2004, 10:25 PM
I got 10' of air off a jump one time(by accident) and landed wrong and wound up with the Tri-Z trying to butt-rape me(lol that's what it looked like) ...and it seems to have handled it with no problem. just get good speed so the landing won't be quite such a drop....

Red Rider
04-01-2004, 03:06 AM
Speed has nothing to do with it. You still need to dissipate the same amount of energy from the 10' dropoff regardless of whether you're moving forward or dropped straight down.

XFR_Dozer
04-01-2004, 01:11 PM
lol so by that logic an airplane could be dropped at 30,000 feet right to earth and it would land the same as it normally would.

200xman
04-01-2004, 01:25 PM
lol so by that logic an airplane could be dropped at 30,000 feet right to earth and it would land the same as it normally would.

I don't think a trike generates lift when it is moving forward! :rolleyes:

YAMAHA_Jim
04-01-2004, 05:23 PM
200xman took the words outta my mouth lol
,,,i have an idea for another topic

XFR_Dozer
04-01-2004, 05:57 PM
im not physics professor ,but in a real world application trajectory has a direct effect on the force of landing impacts. on most jumps the farther you go the higher you go so the landing trajectory is somewhat similar but on a drop off you can flatten out that trajectory, the farther you jump lessening the impact. The flatter the flight path the more energy is diffused into forward motion upon landing. We agree to disagree on this one.

Red Rider
04-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Sounds like TriZ_Jim & the Xman have some aviation knowledge.

XFR_Dozer
04-01-2004, 06:07 PM
hmm

Red Rider
04-01-2004, 06:19 PM
I understand where you're coming from Dozer. I think you said it best though, "let's just agree to disagree."

timex69
04-01-2004, 11:31 PM
im not physics professor ,but in a real world application trajectory has a direct effect on the force of landing impacts. on most jumps the farther you go the higher you go so the landing trajectory is somewhat similar but on a drop off you can flatten out that trajectory, the farther you jump lessening the impact. The flatter the flight path the more energy is diffused into forward motion upon landing. We agree to disagree on this one.

Could ya do us undereducated folks a favor..speak some english man :P

md1985250r
04-02-2004, 11:46 AM

Could ya do us undereducated folks a favor..speak some english man :P

lol... i am not over educated but that makes good sense to me ...the farther out you go ( trajectory)..the less the impact....i concur

Red Rider
04-02-2004, 02:14 PM
On earth, the force of gravity is pretty much constant, and falling objects accellerate towards mother earth at the same rate, which is roughly 32ft/sec. If you jump straight down off of a cliff, the small area that you land in will absorb all of the impact, and you'll probably leave a dent in the ground. Now, if you're moving forward when you jump off of the same cliff, a larger area will now absorb the same impact, and you probably won't leave a dent in the ground. What I'm trying to say is, regardless of the trajectory, the bike is subject to the same impact. By adding some trajectory into the equation, all you're lessening is the impact in a localized area which is better for mother earth not you, and that will make the BLM, Greenpeace, & tree-huggers everywhere happy. Remember my motto, "Adding trajectory to your jumps, saves the earth from nasty bumps!"

Mr. Sandman
04-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Red Rider, You're a rapper too??? Damn!!! I remember the Dirt Wheels article your're talking about and you never duplicated their 8' drop off, you did 4' max. If you recollect though, I safely landed a 12' drop off, only bent my handlebars and my shorts cleaned right up. But your buddies Tecrappy didn't fair so well.

YAMAHA_Jim
04-08-2004, 09:17 PM
With all of that said, I will add this.
The wheels and susp are what absorb the landing.From a straight drop the wheels and shocks dont fair too well(say 10'),,,,,now drive off a 10' cliff at 30-40 mph(landing on flat ground)the wheels and susp absorb the landing quite well. At 80 mph the landing would still be rough but alot smoother.
The same rules apply to high speed car crashes,when people get ejected they just bounce and skip on the ground,,,,which makes for some good road rash. Whats bad is when you get ejected at 75mph and your body goes THUD against an inanimate object.

Red Rider
04-09-2004, 03:32 AM
Fo' sheezy ma' neezy. Mr. Sandman, the 12 footer, that you accidently rode off of, must have done some damage to your ability to remember facts correctly because my buddy wasn't riding a Tecate back in those days. Can't you remember how his front tire blew out on his '84 250R, with a 300 big-bore kit, when he bailed out? Also, while it is true that I started out on the 4' dropoffs, I eventually worked my way up to the 8 footers.

TriZ-Jim, let me see if I understand this correctly? Using your logic, I would fare better by being ejected from a car going 80 mph, than if I jumped out of that same car while it was parked.

Mr. Sandman
04-09-2004, 11:40 AM
RR, you're right, TW was on the '84 300R. It's still funny as hell though, but I still don't remember seeing you do any 8 footers. You may be a legend in your own mind!

And to better understand what Tri-Z Jimis trying to say, change being ejected from a car to being ejected from your R while riding a wheelie down the street and losing it. DOH!

XFR_Dozer
04-09-2004, 01:34 PM
i believe jim is referring to the difference of sliding or rolling to lessen an impact or being a bug splatting on a windshield. if you would rather roll off a drop off as dead weight be my guest. i think id take another approach.

Red Rider
04-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Sandman, why you gotta bring up the wheelie incident? Just when I thought I'd gotten over the bad memories, you had to go and remind me once again. Now, whenever the powerband kicks in, I'm gonna be like :shock:

As for the 8 footers, ask TW, he'll remember many of them. I didn't always go riding with you. If you were there and didn't see me bustin' big air on the dropoffs, you were probably too busy tending to JH's wounds from getting tossed off of his bike, yet again, like a rag doll. ;)

Back to the dropoff/trajectory debate: Isn't there anyone on this forum that took a physics class that can help out here?

Mr. Sandman
04-09-2004, 06:33 PM
What can I say, the story had to be told. As for landing that 12 footer, I never would have made it if I was actually trying. You've got to admit, I was first real pilot, licensed or otherwise, of our group back then. The memories..........sorry, I just can't get over myself :-D

Groundworx
04-09-2004, 11:33 PM
I think the landing is going to suck. Probably more on you than the Z. I think you can make the 10ft. landing without hurting the bike. I took about a 7 ft on my 400EX. I was only in 2nd gear and just kinda creeping up on it. The quad was fine. My wrist, ankles, and jewels :shock: felt the fall though. I had to pull over for a few and take a breather after that one.

250rAL
04-10-2004, 10:26 AM
I'm going to back up Red Rider here. Gravity acts the same on all objects unless they are influenced by another force. If you fire a bullet from a gun and drop one from your hand at the same time, they should both hit the ground at the same time with the same amount of vertical force. So unless your wheeler can generate vertical lift, it isn't going to matter how fast you're going forward. That said, I should add that rear swing arm suspensions seem to soak up hits better if you are on the gas when you land, and that would be facilitated by a little forward movement.

Red Rider
04-10-2004, 01:31 PM
Before anybody says anything about 250rAL's gun example, let me bite the bullet and clarify something. He doesn't mean shooting the gun straight down because that bullet would obviously hit the ground before the dropped bullet. What he means is, if the gun were held tangent (at a right angle to the earth's surface), the fired bullet & the dropped bullet would strike the ground at the same time, except the fired bullet would be about a mile away. Thanks for the backup AL.

Groundworx
04-10-2004, 03:02 PM
I don't know about all the gravity formulas we got going on here, but this is pretty much common sense. The landing is going to be easier on you and the bike if you get some speed first. I don't know if you hit the ground at the same time or with the same force, but it is easier on you.

YAMAHA_Jim
04-10-2004, 03:37 PM
I think Nipper should just go and do the drop and let us know how it went. :)

md1985250r
04-10-2004, 10:05 PM
a few of you guys have OBVIOUSLY smoked TOO MANY BLUNTS :smokin , you all know who you are....if you are moving forward it lessens impact...i gots to find me a physics professor...... :-D

Mr. Sandman
04-11-2004, 02:13 AM
Why contact a physics professor? It's already been summed up. Drop a 1 lb. rock and a 5 lb. rock at the same time from the same height and they both hit at the same time. Now, jump a Tri-Z and an R off the same drop off, 3 feet high or 10 feet high and what's gonna happen? Everyone knows the R will land smoother because it has much better suspension. It will land farther away too, because it's going faster when it launches. Why? again, the R not only has better suspension, but is faster too. Nuff said! :-P

md1985250r
04-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Why contact a physics professor? It's already been summed up. Drop a 1 lb. rock and a 5 lb. rock at the same time from the same height and they both hit at the same time. Now, jump a Tri-Z and an R off the same drop off, 3 feet high or 10 feet high and what's gonna happen? Everyone knows the R will land smoother because it has much better suspension. It will land farther away too, because it's going faster when it launches. Why? again, the R not only has better suspension, but is faster too. Nuff said! :-P

you have been out in the sun WAY TOO LONG....lmao , you are right about only one thing..the R is without a doubt faster than a z. as for a 1 lb rock and a 5 lb rock hitting same time NO WAY!! an object which weighs more generates more velocity the farther it travels, therefore the object with more weight will ALWAYS hit first, even though from very small distances it may not be overly apparent!! now back to the topic at hand........nipper.......do it and let us know , like tri-z jim said.... o yeah mr . sandman......welcome to 3ww

250rAL
04-11-2004, 05:27 PM
[

you have been out in the sun WAY TOO LONG....lmao , you are right about only one thing..the R is without a doubt faster than a z. as for a 1 lb rock and a 5 lb rock hitting same time NO WAY!! an object which weighs more generates more velocity the farther it travels, therefore the object with more weight will ALWAYS hit first, even though from very small distances it may not be overly apparent!! now back to the topic at hand........nipper.......do it and let us know , like tri-z jim said.... o yeah mr . sandman......welcome to 3ww[/quote]

Man, you must have failed science class!

Mr. Sandman
04-12-2004, 12:51 AM
Failed science? That many years ago so I don't really remember. But since I knew I was right, I did a little surfing and came up with the following from a Galileo site.

"There is a well-known story that Galileo proved this when he dropped two objects of different weight off the Leaning Tower of Pisa and they hit the ground in a simultaneous thump."

Now, given the different air resistances of different bikes, the outcome may differ, but not much, because gravity is gravity.

And Nipper, as for jumping your Z of a 10 footer, it would probably do fine as long as you landed right, but if it was a daily deal, you'll be needing a 250R before you know it.

md1985250r
04-12-2004, 06:34 AM
hey sandman, why dont you quote us a few more sentences after that one........lmao :D :D :D

250rAL
04-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Sandman, I was talking about md1985250r! I thought everybody learned about Galileo in junior high. It seems I also remember seeing a video of someone doing the feather and bowling ball trick either in space or on the moon to show that without atmosphere they both fell at the same speed.

Mr. Sandman
04-12-2004, 02:47 PM
md1985250r, sorry, it wasn't my quote or experiment, just stating the facts.

250rAL, after re-reading the post, I realized who you were talking about failing science. Evidently not everyone learned about Galileo in junior high, if they even made it that far! lmao :D So that leaves me with another quote from Cool Hand Luke & GnR's Civil War. Last time, I promise!

"Some men you just can't teach, which is the way he wants it, well he gets it. I don't like it anymore than you do." :shock:

md1985250r
04-12-2004, 03:55 PM
Sandman, I was talking about md1985250r! I thought everybody learned about Galileo in junior high. It seems I also remember seeing a video of someone doing the feather and bowling ball trick either in space or on the moon to show that without atmosphere they both fell at the same speed.

"without atmosphere"............where the hell are we the moon????

Red Rider
04-14-2004, 03:23 AM
md1985250R, WRONG! Knowledge is power. Read a physics book.

Groundworx, WRONG! Perhaps some homeworx is in order.