PDA

View Full Version : engine smokes when revving (350x)

XDAWG
03-31-2004, 12:59 AM
engine smokes when revving? 350X

What the main cause of this?
valve seals
rings
head gasket

I noticed that my head gasket has a very small leak and I got the trike tore apart waiting on a top end gasket set comming this week. Would that be the cause of the smoke or would valve seals or rings be more likley? I just got the trike, Rode it for about 1 hour because of the head gasket I noticed needed replaced. When I first started it up though I noticed I would smoke when being reved up real high but wouldnt really smoke at idle. Anyone have any knowledge in this? Thanks for any help.

clong
03-31-2004, 06:33 PM
When you rev the bike and it smokes is either from worn out rings or valves that need adjustment. The valves may not be seating properly and allowing oil in or its the rings. Smoking would not be casued by your head gasket. A small amount of oil seeping out of the gaskets is quite normal for the 200X and 350X. The reason is because its an external oiling mechanism. The oil is channeled up through the head real close to the fins so it can cool. Becasue of this oil can seep a little. If its seeping so much that its dripping off the fins then thats bad but if it barely seeps to the edge of the fin the gasket is on, then not to worry.

hondaATCman
03-31-2004, 10:05 PM
It's either the valve seals or worn rings.

How much compression does it have?

Howdy
04-01-2004, 09:38 AM
It is very possible that the smoke you see is from it burning too rich.

For the best advice on what it could be: Take the spark plug out and look at it. Is It White, Black, Tan? Is it wet, dry, oily? ect, ect. Update us with that information. We will be able to better help identify the problem from it.

Howdy

hondaATCman
04-01-2004, 10:22 AM
Woops, Howdy might just be right. I forgot about the carb. :D Definately check the plug first. And usually if its running rich it will have a bluish black smoke and if its burning oil it will usually be white/gray.