PDA

View Full Version : Sparks from under my stator cover...normal?

J.D.
03-31-2004, 12:18 AM
I took the stator cover off the Z(Somehow, one of my bolts ran away and my gasket was broke and started to slip out. Anyways, I took the cover off...and while I did it, I fired it up for the hell of it because I wanted to see how fast it went around. It's dark out, and I noticed sparks coming out when I revved it up and let it back down....is this normal, or should I be concerned about this?

Howdy
03-31-2004, 11:43 AM
I am not sure why your see sparks. But I can tell you it probably isn't a good thing. I would investigate to see what is making the sparks. Give us a Full Report. ;)

Howdy

J.D.
03-31-2004, 10:15 PM
Well this must be where the electricity for my lights is going. Sometimes my lights work, sometimes they don't. I think I'm going to try and find a new stator.

atckowalski
03-31-2004, 11:08 PM
It sounds to me like your lighting coil is shorting out,you better check it out. :D

edog
04-01-2004, 09:31 AM
you can buy a nice aftermarket stator for your machine.Ican only buy stock. '(

J.D.
04-02-2004, 12:45 AM
It sounds to me like your lighting coil is shorting out,you better check it out. :D

That's kind of what I was thinking, maybe it's why my lights won't work(again) huh?

edog, where can I buy an aftermarket stator for a Tri-Z? I haven't seeen any.

TimSr
04-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Id check it before replacing it. You may just have a cracked solder joint or some insulation rubbed off or something easy to fix. You can resolder a connection, use silicon if rubber is removed, or some paint if the varinish is removed. If you are getting sparks, and its not sputtering the lighting coil is a good place to look.