PDA

View Full Version : Plastic painting

bebeav
12-15-2002, 08:11 PM
can someone give me some advice on how to paint my front and rear fender. rigth now they are red and i want to paint them in another color.

ALP
Beav

bebeav
12-15-2002, 10:42 PM
thx dude

if someone else got any other suggestions, plz let me know them

ALP
Beav

mtbikr
12-15-2002, 11:22 PM
save up and buy the color you want. You will be happier with the long term effects. painted always scratches and or flakes and to keep it looking descent you are always touching up.

mtbikr
12-15-2002, 11:24 PM
I got a white plastic tank made by clarke, love it! got it from ATV Parts Depot

NOS_350X
12-15-2002, 11:50 PM
on my 350 i have the headlight holder and air scoops painted blue just do like jeswinehart said do a couple of coats of primer first and then paint it its cheeper than buying new stuff and so far ive been satisfyed with it (no flaking or scratching) and it looks perty good it wore a little ( i could see the primer on the scoops) so i just took them off and painted it again
realy easy and affective

bebeav
12-16-2002, 12:11 AM
i can't save up cause i'm going to school for at leats another 2 years and don't want to wait that time.

i want to custumize my 250sx

but find black fender for a 250sx migth be hard. am i rigth??

ALP
Beav

3WheelHouston
12-16-2002, 12:28 AM
I would agree with their suggestions, but I am just adding my input. I used bumper paint (it only comes in gray or black) and scuffed my plastic a bit and primed it with Bond Aid. All from the auto parts store. The coat of paint I put on top of the bumper black peeled, but the bumper paint is still there and has not worn much at all.

And just something cool I discovered when painting with a breeze, some of my plastic was downwind from where I was painting about ten feet and it looked like gold dust on it or something in the light after it dried. I was using black paint on the fenders and then bright yellow paint for part of the shock, and some of the spray went onto the black and I just left it cause it looked cool.

atc86r
12-16-2002, 12:50 PM
mtnbiker how many gallons is that tank?

theeechozen1
12-16-2002, 03:08 PM
House of colour has this paint for plastic, it's a adhesive paint and works really good. i cant remember the name of it but im gonna have my friend spray all my plastic on the 250 since its not the greatest looking to begin with---i'll post the name when i remember and let you know how it comes out.

bebeav
12-16-2002, 06:39 PM
oh yeah, great news, i hope you'll remember the name of this paint.

ALP
Beav

theeechozen1
12-16-2002, 07:42 PM
The brand my buddies gonna use is Diamont, and it's a PLASTIC ADHESIVE PROMOTER-- ask the guys at any auto paint store and they should be able to hook you up-- i think im gonna go with a brighter red than the standard honda red, kinda custom it a little while leaving it old school, ill put some pics up after we spray em
good luck ;)

Tri-Z_Jim
12-16-2002, 08:15 PM
plastic gas tanks are porous meaning the gasoline vapors pass thru the plastic,which means the paint wont stick for very long.i've never painted plastic so I wouldnt know which paint to use.Good luck

theeechozen1
12-16-2002, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure about the tank, mine is in pretty good shape so i wont be attempting it, but i do have 2 or 3 oldies i could give it a shot on just to see if it holds, i might try it Jim you got me thinkin
Plastic tank with flames or tribals :shock:

bebeav
12-17-2002, 01:12 AM
thx for the brand theeechozen1

ALP
Beav