PDA

View Full Version : Got a 1987 250es

atcmatt
03-30-2004, 05:27 AM
Gday,

Well today my dad went and picked up my 250es from the trucking depot. Quite frankly its a heap of you know what. I expected that, only paying $175 for it. Im not sure what to do with it. Fix it up or keep it for parts for another 250es i dont have, lol. It needs the frame welded up under the right side footpeg as its been rusted through and welded up heaps crap. I think i will just cut it and get a whole new piece welded on there. Has anyone done any repairs like this before? I dont have any pics as of yet but i will get some up during the week. It sure is a wonder how anyone can let such a great machine go to scrap from lack of maitenance. More than likely it was a lazy farmer who owned it. :rolleyes: Kinda makes me wanna cry!.......I will be in need of parts for this machine, if you have any let me know by sending an email to atcmatt@optusnet.com.au

Just let me know what you have and ill see if i need it (i need alot)

Well i best stop boring you, i will have them pics up before the end of the week.

Matt

jeswinehart
03-30-2004, 06:49 AM
what's the rest of it like matt ,,, motor turn over at all ???

john

atctim
03-30-2004, 09:24 AM
I didn't know there was such a thing as a "Lazy Farmer"??????

thefox
03-30-2004, 10:09 AM
My brother had his frame on his old motorcycle welded last summer. He had a shop do it, they cut out the old piece (by the footpeg like yours) and welded in one from another bike. When they were done with it, it looked great, you really had to look at it to see that it was pieced together. I am sure it would be easy enough to do youself, just find a cracked frame to cut up.

trikerider2oo7
03-30-2004, 01:24 PM
is that thing saying 1987 a typo?

atcmatt
03-30-2004, 04:46 PM
The motor turns over using the kickstart. It sometimes has compression and other times it doesent. Maybe it has something to do with the compression release? It seems to shift fine also. The rear end diff and that looks pretty rusted up but to me looks like it could be blasted off. I think i will restore this bike, just not sure if it will be better to wait for another one or get into it? Yes it is a 1987, no typo there. On the compliance plate it clearly says, 1987 model, 1/87. What are the shipping rates from america to australia? Expensive?

Matt

trikerider2oo7
03-30-2004, 05:16 PM
yes, it will be very expensive.they will either have to fly or boat it to you and that cant be cheap and then all the weight...

atcmatt
03-31-2004, 04:34 AM
Im going to keep it and get it fixed. I really dont want to wait for another to come around.

Ill keep you posted and ill get somne pics tomorrow.

Matt

wolfspider
03-31-2004, 05:22 AM
hi matt
i`m in the uk and used to have an 87 250es, it was a fantastic machine and the best wheelie bike i ever had, i hope you do fix it up.
i have a few 250es parts but like you said shipping would be expensive.
i have a really good front fender, std size piston and barrel and a front pipe in good nick.
good luck with your project.
steve. :-D

atcmatt
03-31-2004, 05:30 AM
How much do you want for the front fender?

Matt

wolfspider
03-31-2004, 05:37 AM
i`d guess at about 20 pounds for the front fender, i don`t know what the pound is compared to aus money.
but i can take a pic of it for you if you like.
cheers steve

atcmatt
03-31-2004, 05:39 AM
Hey steve,

Do you have msn messenger? If so my email is mattmendel@optusnet.com.au and if you want to send a pic send it to atcmatt@optusnet.com.au

Thanks,

Matt

atcmatt
03-31-2004, 05:41 AM
Oh damn sorry its actually mattmendel@hotmail.com for msn and the other one is correct :oops:

20 pounds converts to 50 aus dollars, plus shipping, i will have to think about it.

Matt

wolfspider
03-31-2004, 05:45 AM
yes i have msn i`ll add you to my contacts, i`ll try and sort oua photo today for you.
cheers steve.

broook
03-31-2004, 08:07 AM
I don`t know about Australia but here in Canada its the IMPORT DUTY that kills everything on top of the postage. Be careful if you buy anything of any value. :( Usually if I buy anything from the states I figure on double the money for items over about $30.00 Under $30 they don`t seem to bother.

I have two 86 250es`s they are the best trikes I have ever ridden. 87 should be great.

Good luck

atcmatt
04-01-2004, 04:41 AM
Ok, I got my 200es and tried to jumpstart the 250es today. Got spark, lights, horn work. The starter turns over the engine but it had this shocking grinding noise. I took of the little cover and looked inside, one of the gears is missing two teeth. Must be the noises.....i took out the plug and it wasnt wet so i took off the carb and am cleaning it tomorrow. I will put it back on tomorrow and charge up my spotlight battery and then try starting it again. I might put some lumps of weld on where the two teeth are missing and then shape it with my dremel so there are some makeshift teeth, I will probably heat it up red hot then drop it in oil to harden it. Maybe someone has the gear i need? The middle one, I have a pic so if you think you might have it send me an email atcmatt@optusnet.com.au and ill send you the pic (dunno how to resize)

I also have a few pics of this 87 beast, if anyone can resize them again send me an email and ill send em to ya so you can resize them to post them on here.

Much Appreciated,

Matt

kdagenais
04-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Sounds like another story of the one way clutch needs to be replaced. If the kickstarter does not grab then I'd be willing to bet the one way clutch needs to be replaced. But at least I would pull the left crankcase cover of before you start it cause the broken starter gears are probably laying inside the stator and will chew it up when you start it up deeming your charging system useless.
Just some things to look at don't want to see anybody go thru the mistakes I made.
Good Luck!!

edog
04-01-2004, 09:20 AM
It's shart drive write?You are right they are wheele kings.I was going to get a 250sx instead of me tri moto.

Yamaha or Honda,there the best -D

atcmatt
04-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Ok, If i pull my crankcase cover is there any tell tale signs that my sprag clutch is stuffed?

Thanks,

Matt

atcmatt
04-01-2004, 11:52 PM
This keeps getting better! Found a 1985 250es for $700, good running order, forks need a rebuild!

Im gonna get it i think,

Matt

jeswinehart
04-02-2004, 07:30 PM
yes matt,,, there is a tell tale way of seeing if the sprag clutch is bad. it is supposed to move in 1 direction only. if it will turn the other way just hairs width or more,,, it's shot.

let me know if you want fork manual info. big red hafta be the hardest to re-do cause of the design ( oh boy ,, just what you wanted to hear right )

john

atcmatt
04-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks John! You have to be one of the most helpful people i know! If i need that manual ill shoot you an email. Ill just stick with my motto for the forks "nothing is impossible"

Matt

kdagenais
04-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Ok, If i pull my crankcase cover is there any tell tale signs that my sprag clutch is stuffed

Hello atcmatt,
Are you still considering trying to get this machine running even though you got another on the way? If so read on, otherwise disregard the following:
If you remove the right crankcase cover and slide the kickstarter in place then try to kick it over by hand you should see the crank & the centrifcul (excuse spelling) clutch turn a full duration. You might want to remove the spark plug so you are not fittting the compression.
Make sure you try to push the kick starter a full swing cause sometimes when the one way clutch is bad it will grab for the first portion and then let go half way down.
I would be willing to bet the one way clutch is bad!!
Good Luck!!

atcmatt
04-02-2004, 10:08 PM
I might still get this engine going even though im getting an 85, if i get the engine going then ill put it on ebay and se how it goes....but it might be best to kep it as parts

Thanks,

Matt