PDA

View Full Version : Where do I get tools to remove axle?

TES
03-29-2004, 04:25 PM
I've tried the local Honda shop, Sears, Napa, Lowe's, Schucks, etc. with no luck.

Where do I get 45mm and 56mm wrenches?

twgranger
03-29-2004, 05:25 PM
I used a pipe wrench on my axle for my z.

jenndnn3
03-29-2004, 06:34 PM
On the R we used a pipe wrench here too. and a hammer, an aceteline(how the heck do you spell that word :oops: ) torch, a pulley system, grease, Man muscles. Just about everything we have in garage went on or against it. But then mine was seized.

4cylinders
03-29-2004, 07:26 PM
hey, I buy wrenches that are close, use the grinder to make them fit, then sstamp them so I know what they are. for 45 buy an 1 3/4", for 56 buy a 2 3/16", then open them up to fit.

edog
03-29-2004, 07:32 PM
Get a good spanner wrench,please.It will save alot of time.

jeswinehart
03-29-2004, 08:22 PM
lmao @ jenndnn3 post ,,, how true !

i too use pipe wrench and the big crescent i have.
oh yeah,,, i almost forgot,,,, and a couple of 4' pipes for leverage.

i'd just like to mention that you will need to put them back together that stinking tight so every thing will line up upon re-assembly.

still laughing jen ,,, that was good !

john

TES
03-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Wow -- I hope I don't have to use a pipe wrench -- that's has got to chew things up if it's seized on there. I'll have to be extremely careful.

Edog -- spanner wrench? There's many different types -- which one are you referring to?

Still trying to track something down.

smokinp
03-29-2004, 10:46 PM
i used a pipe wrench as well on my 200

jenndnn3
03-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Thats not even the tough part TES, Just wait till you get to the brake hub.

Anyway I tried to outsmart mine and I ended up losing. Here is one garage thing I tried (This one should really make ya laugh)
http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/attachment.php?s=&postid=70527

I snapped 3 rods before we gave that one up. Oh and 3 weeks of greasing.

EDIT....hmm picts not working so just follow link the pict is there on 2nd page.

sportvette
03-30-2004, 08:10 AM
i used a pipe wrench and yes it did chew things up. i needed new axle nuts. didnt attempt to get the brake hub off. its rusted on there. i need to bring it to someone to use a press on it.

TES
04-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Finally got the lock nuts off -- it needed serious heat and muscle. Those parts were fried on. Now I need to get the brake hub off.

jenndnn3, how did you end up getting your brake hub off?? I'm trying to track down 8mm all threads to use a pully, yet I'm not having much lock -- everyone has standard. I saw that Napa carried them, yet they're currently out of stock. I need to call around to others. (now I notice you didn't have very good luck with the pully approach)

I need to get that off so I can get my swingarm extended -- soon -- I'm taking too much time getting the rear-end rebuilt.

Did you end up buying a new brake hub? Seems like it will likely be bent a little by the time I'm done with it.

TimSr
04-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Just another tip on axle nuts. Lots of people use Locktite on them. I know i do. I have found that heating them up with the propane torch pretty well cuts the Loctite hold.

86250RZ
04-16-2004, 12:25 PM
What type and year trike do you own? If its an 85-86R (this also works on 350X and 200X's) all you have to do is screw the nut back on the axle that holds your wheel hub on, (make sure it backed off enough so that you dont mess up your axle threads) and tap on it with a 3 or 4 pound hammer. you will be removing the axle and the brake rotor at the same time, works like a charm and is much easyer than trying to remove the rotor by its self. Hope this helps. If I didnt explain it clearly enough for ya, feel free to e-mail me and I will be glad to help.

TES
04-16-2004, 02:13 PM
It's an '85 350x. I've definitely tried what you mentioned and no go. I've actually beat on the end of the axle extremely hard (don't care about the axle -- have a durablue to replace) while somone else is prying on the hub with 2 huge crowbars (sp?) and still no go. It is fried on there. I haven't heated up the hub yet -- might have to -- I'm about ready to cut the axle off to get it out of the swingarm. Then I'll have to buy a new brake hub.

The threads that the lock nuts screw onto are also still on the axle. I believe these are a seperate part / not connected to the brake hub.

jenndnn3
04-16-2004, 05:32 PM
Yeah I lost the battle with my hub. I cut mine with the torch. The all threads are also available at hardware stores, but seem to not have the strength. If you are pullin the swinger anyway, Go ahead and remove it, and take it to a shop with a press. That might save your hub.

jeswinehart
04-16-2004, 08:22 PM
when i re-did my 350x i had pretty much the same trouble. i ended up making my own puller out of long threaded rods. i used rods that where small enough to go thru the holes on the hub and used flat washers + nuts as a backer. on the axle end i had a peice of flat stock and drilled 3 holes to line up with the threaded rod. really akward but very effective.
i'd tighten down on the nuts very snug and heat + tap and retighten , repeat + repeat + repeat. it pulled off with out any damage.
plus ,,, cheap to make.

john

rob0781
04-17-2004, 04:43 AM
Get a good spanner wrench,please.It will save alot of time.
I bought a set of spanner wrenches and am still having a really hard time i'm gonna buy a propane torch and see if that works.

jenndnn3
04-18-2004, 11:48 AM
How is it going?

rob0781
04-19-2004, 04:54 AM
haven't bought the torch yet gonna do it on wednesday when i'm off work.