PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a spark arrestor?

nitekrawler
03-27-2004, 11:18 PM
I don't think I do, and the local park requires it. Both kids have a DG header pipe and the DG oval silencer. Are those spark arrestors?

nitekrawler
03-27-2004, 11:40 PM
I also came across this too. What is the DBA, anyone know?
http://www.trailsandwheels.com/legislative/Red%20sticker%20and%20noise%20limits.htm

plkmonster2
03-28-2004, 02:46 AM
dba is the sound level. It stands for decibals of sound. I'm not sure what a normal talking voice it at for dba. I think all stock silencers are under the limits, but aftermarket may not be. They are louder than stock, but DG should have some rating on them.

200Xjapan
03-28-2004, 03:37 AM
The dB is the abbreviation of decibel (the measurement of sound) so I'm pretty sure that site wrote dba by mistake.

ChrisD
03-28-2004, 11:58 AM
DG will not pass the sound test unless you are "off the pipe" ie...low revs. 96 DB is not a lot.

No, you do not have a spark arrestor on the DG silencer. Spark arrestors are usually only a screen across the exhaust opening. You can buy a spark arrestor for round and oval silencers for $30ish or you can take apart your current silencer and fit a heavy duty screeen across the opening.

nitekrawler
03-28-2004, 12:39 PM
DG will not pass the sound test unless you are "off the pipe" ie...low revs. 96 DB is not a lot.

No, you do not have a spark arrestor on the DG silencer. Spark arrestors are usually only a screen across the exhaust opening. You can buy a spark arrestor for round and oval silencers for $30ish or you can take apart your current silencer and fit a heavy duty screeen across the opening.

Since the kids are a '82, I think they get 101db. Anyone ever have a ranger with a gun to read the db?
Also, someone said I could add a spark arrestor, where do you get these at?

Thanks for ALL your help guys!

ATCnut
03-29-2004, 11:04 PM
I have seen the team in Oregon in the summertime read sound. One guy has the sound meter and a string, he holds it the length of the string away from the exhaust in the prescribed direction. the other guy does the gas. You get to start your own machine, but they do the rest. If you fail you get to try again after making changes (take out some disks, or something) if you still fail, then your machine does not go out on the sand.

nitekrawler
03-31-2004, 12:42 AM
I have seen the team in Oregon in the summertime read sound. One guy has the sound meter and a string, he holds it the length of the string away from the exhaust in the prescribed direction. the other guy does the gas. You get to start your own machine, but they do the rest. If you fail you get to try again after making changes (take out some disks, or something) if you still fail, then your machine does not go out on the sand.

Do DG fail? Will spark arrestors help?

TimSr
03-31-2004, 09:45 AM
The spark arrester will do nothing to lower the noise level. As ChrisD said, it its a screen to stop glowing particles from being emitted so as to prevent those "dune fires" . Just about every stock silencer I know of is also an approved spark arrester. There are also companies that sell add on ones "Sparky", but they are only to satisfy the spark arrester requirements, not to reduce noice.

nitekrawler
03-31-2004, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys!