PDA

View Full Version : 200x help PLEASE!!!!

AlienMotorsports
03-26-2004, 09:37 PM
OK I took the lights and switch off my 200x and im wiring it a completely diffrent way now, I think I have it figured out but Im not getting spark, Im pretty sure its wired right, so i have some questions, do i still have to use both wires coming out of the alternator? or can i only use one, which one? also, how many volts should come out of the alternator wire while im cranking the bike? please help me i need to have this done very soon, please i need help badly, also if anyone has AIM or AOL and can give nme a screename to chat with you for help id appreciate it, and last but not least, the two main wires that go to the switch for the engine kill, do they connect to kill the engine, or disconnect? thank you very very much

AlienMotorsports
03-26-2004, 09:45 PM
BTW this is an 84

MountainRider
03-26-2004, 10:02 PM
You MUST use both wires. The ignition exciter stator produces ac current and the lighting stator produces dc current (or vice versa). If you remove ANY energy from the ignition circuit (by trying to run your lights off it as well), you will kill the spark. This happens first because of the different types of current required, and secondly because if you pull an of the energy away from the ignition circuit, it won't have enough amperage to make it through the ignition coil to produce the highe energy spark.

I learned this by trying to use a pigtail off the ignition circuit to power a timing light, lol.

(Edited because I'm forgetful)

BTW, if you have no voltage (12vdc) coming out of your lighting stator (yellow wire?), the only way to get your lights to work is to replace the stator. The bad news...new 200x lighting stators are not available in either oem or aftermarket configurations (not that I've found anyway). You might be able to find someone locally that could re-wind yours though.

AlienMotorsports
03-30-2004, 09:14 PM
Ok i figured it out thanks for the reply but you dont need both wires, I figured a way to work it without the 2 wires, Made a new wiring diagram and all, if anyone needs it contact me. Thanks fellas