PDA

View Full Version : Is my timing waaaay off?

ange
03-26-2004, 03:08 AM
I think it's off by about 180 degrees. Here is why.
In the first picture, the TDC marks are lined up. But there is very little compression here. Turning the engine a little more, you can feel a little something, but it feels like it's just the piston changing direction (bottom stroke now on the way up?)

Second picture. My hand has not changed positions on the fly wheel, I have just twisted it until I felt the most compression and took the pic. Notice my hand has turned completely upside down (180 degrees) from the first pic.

There does appear to be some slight tool marks on the flywheel bolt (someone may have been in here before?). Could one conclude from this that the timing is off by 180 degrees? (can't get it started in it's current state to check w/ a light.... but would like to narrow down what problem I am chasing)

Any insight guys?

1985 200s
03-26-2004, 07:46 AM
I'd say your onto something ;) and I think your right.

Vintage Man
03-26-2004, 08:17 AM
from what you described everything looks OK, you have a 2 stroke there and the theory is much different than a 4 stroke, I could see if you had a 4 stroke the valve timing may be off by someone not setting up the cam timing but on a standard 2 stroke you have a fixed key on the crank and a machined square on the flywheel so it can t go anywhere as far as mechanical timing , unles the flywheel key is sheared off. and as far as ignition timing alot have a fixed stator but if it does have a slot for adjustment you could never get 180 degrees out of it . I would pull the flywheel off just to make sure that nothing is damaged in the stator area and check the key.

1985 200s
03-26-2004, 08:29 AM
My bust. Didn't realize it was 2 stroke.

ange
03-26-2004, 01:37 PM
IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!! :D

starts on first kick!!!!!!

On a KXT you can't see into the carb.. so I stuck my finger in there and the slider was at about mid-throttle. The cable was just waaay out of adjustment. So I loosened it up, put it where it should be... and one kick and VROOOOM!

But, I did notice, that when it runs, there is an oil leak on the clutch cover side of the engine... re-torqued them... restarted and still a little drip....
Time go go buy a gasket...

plkmonster2
03-27-2004, 02:59 AM
I'm gonna say, I don't think it could be off by 180 on a 2 stroke. There is only an up and down cycle, and it fires on each stroke. On a 4 stroke, the timing can be 180 off, and it can still start. As long as the timing and valves aren't 180 off, then it will start. If the valves are 180 from the timing, the motor will fire at the top of the exhaust stroke.