PDA

View Full Version : what to do if submerged trike??

nipper
03-23-2004, 03:28 PM
hi me and my m8 are planning abit of fun over the weekend and the whole place is flooded here!! (uk). befor i go and take my z through too much deep water i was wondering what the consequences are if it sucks in aload of water? will it need a new engine? what would i have to do?
thx
nipps

ScottZJ
03-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Flip it up side down and drain all the water out of it. Open the air box and drain it and also take the plug out before you start it. Oh and most important....start praying. :D But seriously, I have sunk many big reds and done this and they run fine afterwards...........peace

Beer_Smurf
03-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Good advice.
My buddy crashed his Tri-Z into a canal once.
I would add changing the oil to the above list.

So pull the plug
Turn it over
Drain the airbox
Change the oil
Run it to evaporate whatever moisture is left in the engine.

nipper
03-23-2004, 04:07 PM
thx so it won't go and fly to bits if it suddenly gets a drink? i've heard about hydrolaking the engine!! but only on cars!!
nipps

ScottZJ
03-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Well now if you keep it running while its sucking water into the engine, then sure its going to lock up bigger than heck. But if it just goes under and dies, then do what we say and you could be fine.............peace

Billy Golightly
03-23-2004, 07:26 PM
If the water goes past the snorkel and the water goes from there all the way through to the airbox, and then into the engine, your looking at some serious problems since water does not compress like gas. At the very least a bent rod. At the worsest, a broken rod, destroyed topend, and an un-repairable inner cases. Be verrrrry careful exploring the "Deep part".

threewheelin-feelin
03-23-2004, 09:50 PM
yep billy good advice there but pulling the plug draining the oil and everythin u will have to do to

ATCnut
03-23-2004, 10:49 PM
If you get water in the crank case, use tranny fluid to clean it out.

I got my 250sx stuck in the river last year, the guy with me had to tow me out. I got the trike started and back home, but when I looked at the dipstick the oil was like a milkshake.

I drained the oil and put 1/2 fresh oil and 1/2 tranny fluid back in. Started the trike, let it warm up and then drained the mix out. Tranny fluid absorbes water.

I then put fresh oil and an new filter in and it was as good as new.