PDA

View Full Version : Compression Test

12-13-2002, 01:34 PM
Im a newbie at working on atv motors but am pretty decent at figuring mechanical things out. I just bought a compression tester and there really was no manual or anything that came with it, understanding that you really dont need a manual to tell you how to screw it in and then turn the engine over. :-D My question is this, on a recoil start engine the first time you pull it, is the first reading you get the correct compression reading or do you need to pull a few times and let the compression build up? My manual says that I should have between 156-198 for compression and im getting like 95 on the first pull but the motor seems to run fine and have lots of power. I have another motor from a parts bike that i bought and I put the tester in it and pulled and i only get like a 55, which im guessing thats time for some new piston and rings.

Thanks,
Jeremy

GlennMc
12-13-2002, 02:38 PM
Hi;
When you do a compression test, you need to perform it with the throttle wide open. If you do this and do not see good compression after giving it a good pull on the recoil, then you have a problem. Also make sure that there is no automatic decompression system that functions when you pull the recoil starter. I know that the 185S had an automatic decompression. If you do have one, disable it and then perform the compression test at wide open throttle.
GlennMc.

12-13-2002, 02:52 PM
One long pull should be all that's needed. They have two types of test for compression, first one is a dry test, the second one is a wet test.

The dry should be taken first, it will have a lower reading than the the wet.

To take a wet reading, coat the inside of the cylinder with engine oil, then test the compression.

I normally insert an oil filled straw in the sparkplug port and let the oil drain into the cylinder. Then I put the sparkplug back in and then pull the starter rope so that the oil coats the cylinder. Now I remove the sparkplug and install the tester and then take the wet test so that I get a wet reading.

Mobular
12-13-2002, 03:12 PM
3 full cycles of the engine should get you your proper reading