PDA

View Full Version : 1983 200X questions!!

nipper
03-17-2004, 03:05 PM
hi i have just found an 83 honda 200x in the uk!!! its in very good shape n is up for auction and i was wondering how good they are? i have an 225dx. how do they compair power wize n sesspention wise? i have never seen an 200x in this country (uk)! r they alot different from the 86 vertion?
thx
nipps

Wickedfinger
03-17-2004, 03:33 PM
The motors have the same horsepower rating at around 12. Suspension wise the 200X's is quite a bit better than the 225DX's with a few more inches of travel front and back. The biggest difference is the chain drive vs shaft drive - you will have more gearing choices with the 200X as compared to 0 for the 225DX. Another difference between the two is the baking systems - the hondas hydrolic disk brakes are FAR superior than the drum front/mecanical seal disk rear on the 225DX. Out of the box, the 200X and the 225DX are about as quick as each other off the line but the 200X has a higher top speed. I have drag raced my '84 225DX vs my friends '84 200X and they are almost always dead even to about 35 - 40mph. I would say the 200X is the better sport quad of the two, however, I have heard about problems regarding the tubular swing arm on the early '83 X's. They switched to the box tube arm in '84 and you can still basically see it in use today on the 300EX. The '86/'87 200X's are a far more capable machine than the earlier models with better suspension and a bigger, redesigned engine with larger valves for more peak horsepower.

nipper
03-17-2004, 04:10 PM
thx thats helped me out no end!! :-D
i won't buy it now untill i see an 85,86 vertion!!
cheers
nipps

Wickedfinger
03-17-2004, 04:43 PM
...an '85 is the same as the first generation 200X's ('83 - '85). Only the '83 had the weak swing arm. The second generation 200X is '86 - '87. It evolved into the TRX200X - which was made in Mexico for overseas export and simply had a 250X front end welded onto the ATC200X single downtube frame. You actually might find a TRX200X in europe - they are non-existant in the USA.

Jez
03-17-2004, 06:07 PM
Nipper,

For what it's worth, if I were looking for an ATC200X in the UK, I'd buy that one on eBay as they're a very rare bike over here, especially in original, unmessed with condition like that one. Also, not only have I never seen an '85+ model out here, but Honda didn't officially import the '86 and '87 model ATC200Xs to the UK, so if you would like one of those, the only way to get one is to import one from the states. My advice..........BID!!!!!.

My girlfriend rides an '83 model ATC200X similar to the one on eBay and they're great bikes. I waited over a year to find it for her and like you, I was originally holding out for a 1985 model, but one never came up, despite numerous ads and asking around. I've heard about the tubing on the swingarm being problematic, however, that's only on seriously abused bikes raced into the ground. For normal recreation use, it's plenty strong enough to handle whatever abuse you can throw at it.

Seriously, they're a great bike, the likes of which you won't see very often, especially over here. If you want any more advice on these bikes, drop me a personal message or post a reply to this and I'll be glad to advise.

Cheers,
Jez

nipper
03-17-2004, 06:21 PM
interesting thx well i have an yamaha 225dx (god knows how that got into the country) that i brought from a farm sale £50!! n i have the beasty tri z!!
but i was looking for an real powerfull 4 stroke jumping trike n this swinarm deal dosent sound to good n also it dosen't sound like it will go much higher than my z without braking! i just heard that they were real light and so easy to jump and easy to wheely with because of the hydrolic brakes and the easy to controll engine!!
do u have any 2 stroke trikes? i coulden't belive the difference when i got my tri z and was used to the 225 and my honda 200 big red!!! wow!!! lol
thx for your time
nipps