PDA

View Full Version : plastic paint - Krylon Fusion

Name Brand
03-17-2004, 05:30 AM
Looked at this online after seeing a commercial for it. Has anyone used this stuff, any results?
http://www.krylon.com/main/product_template.cfm?levelid=5&sub_levelid=10&productid=1751&content=product_details

I think my 250SX would look good in blue. My main concerns are adhesion, flexibility and durability, mainly on the fenders. On the commercial they were showing painted plastic lawn chairs which do take alot of flex and wear.

StangLX302
03-17-2004, 08:43 AM
I used it. I was a little skeptical at first, but it turned out great!! It's been painted for about 6 months now and hasn't chipped or flaked off yet. Just be sure to properly prep the surface first. Use an extra fine grit sandpaper, then clean it up with pre-cleaner. You can get pre-cleaner at any automotive paint supply. Some hardware stores might carry it too.

I'd post some pics, but, the weather is really crappy out this week (snowing and cold) and I won't be able to get a nice pic.

chuck
03-17-2004, 12:12 PM
I have used it on a couple projects. i dries fine but it will flake if you get any flex in the plastic, like a fender. any fender that i had it on and the fender was bent for whatever reason the paint did flake off.

smokinp
03-17-2004, 07:18 PM
I used it and it worked great.

edog
03-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Used it on the rear aluminum dif case,on my tri moto.Used a hole can on that part.

ScottZJ
03-17-2004, 10:21 PM
I used it on my X blue and works and looks great. I could have preped it better and it would be close to perfect then but still looks great. It did come off in some of the thinner areas when riding hardcore in the tight trails but not bad..........peace

GreenLightening
03-18-2004, 03:10 AM
that X looks pretty damn good scottZJ.

You need to understand that this is my opinion only. It all depends on what kind of paint you want and what kind of riding you do. there isnt a paint that will hang on if you decide to fly through trees or roll it over every time out.

Also what kind of paint job you want. if you want something that will shine but is not quality that will maybe last for a few seasons. or a quality paint job that will shine that your kids will be able to destroy for ya years down the road.

I have painted a few wheelers in my time and know the ins and outs of paintwork. I can not believe that stuff will stay on plastic without a proper adhesion promoter and quality sealer underneath. But I have never used it so I can not say how good or bad the stuff is.

all I can say is you get what you pay for man. take it for what its worth.

Trucker200X
03-18-2004, 04:27 PM
I have used it before without doing a real good prep on the plastic and mine hasn't chipped, flaked, cracked or anything else...BUT I did the same color paint as the plastics orignally were...so maybe thats the reason it looked so good...

StangLX302
03-19-2004, 11:32 PM
GreenLightening,

I've been riding the **** out of mine for the past 2 days now. Through the woods (sticks hitting it and all), through the mud, jumping it, and fell off and crashed it 3 times during those 2 days.
The paint still hasn't flaked/cracked off.

Matt

short4stuff
03-19-2004, 11:38 PM
Hey green lightening .. or anyone else for that matter what kind of tires are on the rear of that blaster, I LOVE them.

smokinwrench
03-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Hey green lightening .. or anyone else for that matter what kind of tires are on the rear of that blaster, I LOVE them.

They are 18 or 20 inch trekkers. 22" trekkers have a different pattern than the low pro ones. I think they just recently got discontinued.

atckowalski
03-20-2004, 12:36 AM
I used it and it is no good

StangLX302
03-20-2004, 02:45 PM
I used it and it is no good

What kind of prep did you do?

GreenLightening
03-21-2004, 12:54 PM
smokinwrench is right. they are 18" trekkers. They are damn good tires. I didnt know they were discontinued.

GreenLightening
03-21-2004, 12:58 PM
GreenLightening,

I've been riding the **** out of mine for the past 2 days now. Through the woods (sticks hitting it and all), through the mud, jumping it, and fell off and crashed it 3 times during those 2 days.
The paint still hasn't flaked/cracked off.

Matt

Im going to have to go buy myself a can of that paint. Maybe spray the big red plastic. I just can not believe it will hold up. Let us know in a month or two how it holds up.. after the paint has fully cured.

junjun01
03-21-2004, 01:56 PM
I had use that krylon paint; it always chips for me

junjun01
03-21-2004, 01:58 PM
The picture came out too small..but that's the paint job

StangLX302
03-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Let us know in a month or two how it holds up.. after the paint has fully cured.

I painted it over 6 months ago.