PDA

View Full Version : Front End Swap for 250SX with 200X Pros & Cons

kdagenais
03-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Hello,
I know this probably has been beat to death but unable to locate it in the old post. My questions is what is the Pros & Cons of using the 250SX triples and just sliding the 200X forks in them? Also am curious on what year 200X forks would you recommend?
The reason I am asking is cause I really want to convert my trike to the 200X set up but am not welder by any means to fabricate a new steering stop. Let me know your thoughts about this and also if anyone has a complete fork set with brake caliper and axle and wheel (Tire not necessary) send me a PM with price.
Thank You,

vartiak15
03-13-2004, 06:34 PM
well all ive herad is good things about them. and you you do it i would be willing to sell you my 200x front end i got laying around here.

kdagenais
03-13-2004, 10:50 PM
and you you do it i would be willing to sell you my 200x front end i got laying around here.

I will keep that in mind once I figure out which direction to go. Still not wanting to change the triples if I do not have to cause of the steering stops and going without them is not an option.

wilb67
03-14-2004, 01:20 AM
vartiak15,
how much for the 200x front end?
is it complete?

kdagenais
03-15-2004, 04:46 PM
I really need some input on this if anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.
Thanks In Advance,

Dirtcrasher
03-16-2004, 08:24 PM
Any year 200X will work just as lousy. Well not that lousy but in stock form the 200X forks are a big upgrade for the SX but still not enough. I found 1" spacers and 20wt oil to work for me but I like to jump. 200X forks are very soft and plush in stock form. The progressive springs get great reports - and a great price too (about 80$ or so). But yes the 200X forks slide right in. Then you lose the front brake unless you start messing around with using a 200X or 250R front wheel and making up some spacers for the caliper and the wheel hub.

You can run the forks, triples and brakes in the SX but the forks will dent up your tank - plenty of people could care less about the dents as long as they have the upgraded 200X front end.

So what do you do?? Slide the 200X forks in your SX weak triple clamps and run no brake - the 250cc slows down just fine with engine decompression and the rear stopper - it's an option anyhow.

I believe the white and black forks are 1985 and under and the aluminum ones are the 86 era.

I put on the whole deal with a 250R front tire and gold rim and I like it. Looks better, sits higher and performs better but welding the stops was a big pain. If I had the actual stops from a junk 200X it would have been easier to weld on and of course a mig welder would have been better than an arc welder.

Don't forget that the aluminum 200X triples have twice the clamping surface area and more bolts than the 250SX. Again, if you jump than this is a good thing.

You want cons??

Actual fabrication with stops etc. is a pain in the arse.
Finding a good 200X front brake setup I have found to be IMPOSSIBLE!!!!

I have been ripped off twice now after I was sold "good working front brakes" which were smashed and rusty and just useless junk.

Anyone want to sell me a good 200X front brake setup???? :-D

kdagenais
03-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Hello Dirtchaser,
Thank You for the reply! I am not a big jumper so that is not an issue. But you mentioned somethings that I was not aware of and didn't give it much thought (No brakes with the SX triples). The bigest reason I want to go with the swap is to get disc brakes so with that in mind I guess I have no choice but to swap everything.
The good thing is I found a complete front end locally just have to find out what kind of shape it is in. So in your opinion there is no real bif difference between any of the years?

vartiak15
03-16-2004, 10:59 PM
ust sold my front brakes to someone on here dont no there name tho. there are some on ebay rite now.

Dirtcrasher
03-17-2004, 07:43 AM
ust sold my front brakes to someone on here dont no there name tho. there are some on ebay rite now.

Every single brake part I buy on EBAY is complete junk. Thanks anyhow.

Dirtcrasher
03-17-2004, 07:45 AM
Hello Dirtchaser,
Thank You for the reply! I am not a big jumper so that is not an issue. But you mentioned somethings that I was not aware of and didn't give it much thought (No brakes with the SX triples). The bigest reason I want to go with the swap is to get disc brakes so with that in mind I guess I have no choice but to swap everything.
The good thing is I found a complete front end locally just have to find out what kind of shape it is in. So in your opinion there is no real bif difference between any of the years?

No, any year should give you the same result.

Dirtcrasher
03-17-2004, 07:49 AM
Hello Dirtchaser,

No, any year should give you the same result. Almost forgot - the 86 and 87 use different frame stops and triple clamps. But I believe these will fabricate on also just fine.

kdagenais
03-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the reply, I will be going to look at the front end the next weekend hopefully it will turn out to be in good shape. I will keep everyone posted on the conversion.

jdulac
03-17-2004, 11:06 AM
I switched my 250sx front end completely over to a 200x. The biggest advantages were the turning ability with the thinner wheel, the disc brakes and the looks. Also the 200x front is lighter.

The downside is finding a good brake system as dirtcrasher said, i was lucky enough to buy a rolling 200x which i took all apart and ending up getting the front end and rear rims for free after i sold the parts i didn't need. I also never welded the stops on and dented my tank but i heard that if you get or have a plastic tank you don't have anything to worry about.

Just to make you aware I recently parted my trike and the front end sold for $225 without the light or fender. $125 for the brakes, $50 for the forks/triple, $50 front wheel and hub. So it can get pretty costly.

As far as intallation its pretty straight forward except for keeping the ball bearings in place since there are no casings for the ball bearings. I just used a lot of grease to hold them in place. But the 85 200x triplle fit right in the 250sx neck. Than i had to splice the 200x headlight to work with the 250sx plug but i had my old plug and spliced it into that.

http://members.cox.net/dulacj/250sx2.jpg

samster143
03-17-2004, 11:07 AM
To get the F. brake. You have to buy ebay junk and give it a complete re-build. Remove the piston, scrape all the scale off of it and re-place all the seals. Then you should be good to go. Stuff like that from ebay always needs to be restored. I bought a rear end one time and when I wanted to use the axle after I bent my original, I found out the one I bought was in worse shape than what I had! Ebay CROOKS!

kdagenais
03-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Just to make you aware I recently parted my trike and the front end sold for $225 without the light or fender. $125 for the brakes, $50 for the forks/triple, $50 front wheel and hub. So it can get pretty costly.
The complete front end that I have a line on is not going to be anywhere near that total. Still not sure what condition everything is in until I go to see it. Luckily I found one locally so I can see it before I buy it.
Now you guys made me think of another question about the swap. Can you still use the SX headlight or do you have to go with the X headlight? Also what do you do with the ignition panel?

Dirtcrasher
03-17-2004, 06:53 PM
The complete front end that I have a line on is not going to be anywhere near that total. Still not sure what condition everything is in until I go to see it. Luckily I found one locally so I can see it before I buy it.
Now you guys made me think of another question about the swap. Can you still use the SX headlight or do you have to go with the X headlight? Also what do you do with the ignition panel?

The forks, axle, tire and triples are cheap and a dime a dozen. The headlight and good front brake are a bit harder to get and more expensive.

The X headlight some people prefer. You can just keep using your SX headlight - You can either stretch the rubber straps inward as the 200X triples are closer together. Or you can flip those straps around in the housing and then they don't look like there gonna rip out of there and fit better too.

You use the 250SX top clamps on the 200X triple and continue to run your SX key switch.