PDA

View Full Version : 250sx engine gaskets

ATC777
03-12-2004, 05:09 PM
Hey guys,

Does anyone know where to get a good deal on a complete engine gasket set for a 1985 atc 250sx engine? As I am going through and re-building the whole thing.

Thank you

Name Brand
03-13-2004, 12:46 AM
I had to replace the gasket on the cover that's over the starter reduction gears once on my 250SX. Honda qouted me alot for the gasket (I don't remember how much), so I went to Napa. For about $8 I bought a long roll of gasket paper (I think it was 12"x60") that was the same thickness as the original gasket. A little bit of time with an X-acto knife and some scissors, and I had a replacement gasket made.

The two most important things are to get gasket paper that is the same thickness as the original gaskets. Engine tolerances depend on this. It is critical to use the right thicknesses. The other thing is to cut the new gaskets well. Make sure to cut along the lines, not into the gasket at all, and to remove all the excess material from the inner and outer edges.

Obviously making an entire set of gaskets for an entire engine is very time consuming and meticulous, but it will be inexpensive. If you're looking to just buy a set, try your local Honda shop or Ebay.

kdagenais
03-13-2004, 08:03 AM
All I have to say is Service Honda http://www.servicehonda.com/gorder/shopping.asp so far I have found anywhere from a $5.00 to $20.00 dollar savings in camparison to my local dealer and partsfish.com or bikebandit. I would recommend buying all of your parts through Service Honda for the rebuild.
Good Luck!

Dirtcrasher
03-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Vesrah makes a complete kit with orings for 55$

OEM Honda comes in 2 parts - A and B - either part A or B is discontinued but I'm not sure which.

Cometic is another one available on EBAY or just "ask seller a question" to the person selling most of the kits there.

Cutting your own works in a pinch but 55$ is worth it to me.