PDA

View Full Version : My new basket case Tecate 3

Beer_Smurf
03-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Check this out.
The guy I work with scored my this Tecate 3 for free.
I've always been a Honda ATC guy.
What do I need to know about this beast.
What is and isn't availble for it?

Thanks in advance.

BigGreenMachine
03-12-2004, 05:01 PM
Alright project bike if you ask me. Does it have a front disc brake, if so its an 85 and if not an 84. The bottom end looks nasty, your gonna need a new stator and flywheel from Ricky Stator, the front forks and chrome look real clean, in fact I would guess she is an 85 because the fork bottoms are silver. Plastics look real faded but its probably just the glare making them look that white. Gonna be a project for sure but it should come together pretty easy, always liked the red plastics. Good luck.

Wickedfinger
03-12-2004, 07:16 PM
I'll say that plastic is faded ... I was going to say "what is it, pink!". You guys in the desert are lucky for a couple of reasons - the main one being though: no rain, no rust. If that thing was left out in the weather enough to fade the red to pink like that back east, it would be a rusting pile. Good luck on your resto though, looks like a great starter.

JMiller
03-12-2004, 07:49 PM
Thats an '85

200xalltheway
03-12-2004, 10:01 PM
thats a nice project trike. i don't know anything about kaw's but thats a good find. 8)

Beer_Smurf
03-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks guys.
Yeah the plastic is faded into a nasty shade of pink.
Besides the obvious horrible plastic and missing engine parts she isn't too bad.
The rear brakes work.
The rims aren't bad.
The forks leak but aren't bent and have no corrosion.

Which top ends will fit? KX, Tecate 4, etc.?
Do they all have the plated cyinders?
Is the new DG pipe good or should I try to find a stock pipe?
Would it be a crime to make it green?
What is the best front tire?

Jeb
03-13-2004, 01:53 AM
The only top end that will fit is 84/85 KXT 250 or 83/84 KX 250.

All the mid to late 80s 250 KX & KXT/KXFs had Nikasil Plated Cylinders.

DG pipe should be comparable to a stock pipe. to me they look better because they don't have that guard on them.

Changing her to green is perfectly acceptable in my book.

For front tire, you've got the stocker if you can find it or the 22x11-10 Kenda Front Max. I like it.

Lose the rear tires. They are not sport trike tires in my opinion.

GreenLightening
03-13-2004, 03:06 AM
not a bad project man. mine didnt look too much different when I stared on it.

XDAWG
03-13-2004, 04:04 AM
You got a good deal on that!!! :shock: Looks like a nice project something to keep you busy for awhile and when you done you can look back at that pic and look how far its come along!

smokinp
03-13-2004, 11:25 AM
Nice find!

BigGreenMachine
03-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Yeah I'd also check out a KX ignition system as well to replace the probably crapped out one, that is if you don't plan on running lights.

I have the complete DG National system and it looks real nice, should turn a nice colour after I run it for a while.

I also like the Kenda Front Max tire, nice and sporty looking. Depending on what riding you do, look into some 22inch holeshots or 20's if you like to slide around everywhere.

Green looks good, the aftermarket Maier green is real bright and shiny. Also instead of buying a used green tank why dont you invest in a matching green tank cover. Can anyone help us out as to where we'd find these covers? I remember something about them being on eBay.

Beer_Smurf
03-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Thanks guys, good stuff.
I am going to need to tear the bottom end down and see what I am missing and also find out if the crank is salvagable.

Maybe easier just to get another engine.
I'll have to see what I can find.

Will the whole motor out of a '86-'87 or a Tecate 4 fit?

Here is another pic of the beast.

BigGreenMachine
03-14-2004, 10:18 AM
The 86 and up Tecate 3 and 4 motor will not fit mainly because the pipe exits from the head right where the 85's downtube is. Cutting the downtube would make it fit. Your better off finding a working motor if you want to ride it as soon as you can.

TeCaTe_MaN
03-14-2004, 03:37 PM
rear OEM fenders are near impossible to find brand new, there discontinued, i think you can still get an OEM front fender if you got the right sources, i would go with a stock pipe, they were built from the factory to race and the stock pipe is almost as good as it gets, while your building it you could have a stock pipe getting cleaned, brackets for guard removed, sandblasted, smoothed out, and chromed while you build the beast, i would go to green because i think that they look alot better than red, definately get a ricky's stator so you dont haveto deal with frying stators all the time, the only engine that will fit is an 84/85 just stick with that, if you do this project right, and get a nice running engine it will be a beast and you will have alot of fun on it ;)