PDA

View Full Version : HELP with clutch upgrade kit for honda 250r

bushwacker51
03-11-2004, 04:16 AM
I just put in a hinson clutch basket and a honda 1989 upgarde cluch kit in my 1985 honda 250r atc (comes with bearing and eliminates the ball bearing] . Well got it all back together and it acts like it has no clutch y. You pull in on the clutch and put it in gear it jumps foreward and dies. Acts like there is no clutch. I have pulled it back apart twice know and cant find what I am doing wrong. I am frigging going nuts Please help thank you Glenn Oister

mart
03-11-2004, 05:36 AM
gday mate try putting your trike in gear (motor not running )stand in front of it push the clutch in with trailprotrailpro right hand then push it backwards untill it frees and rolls sometimes new plates bind together my bros 200x didit when he put new barnett plates in his this will break the plates apart hope thats your prob later mate. ps when i say push it backwards i dont mean just try and push it roll it hard back and forwards kinda jarring it pretty hard to explain over the net good luck

RichinMO
03-11-2004, 04:40 PM
take the clutch cover off and watch the pressure plate when you pull in the lever, make sure its moving, adjust the cable slack if you need. Did you install new plates when you put it together? If so did you soak them in oil good? Sounds like the plates are stuck together if everything is installed right.

bushwacker51
03-11-2004, 05:54 PM
I tried pushing it in gear and that did not work ill soak the clutch plates that might be the problem thanks for your help Glenn oister

atc86r
03-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Did you replace the rod that goes from left side thru to right side? They might be different lengths.

hrc200x
03-11-2004, 07:30 PM
I did this in my '87 trx 250r like 6 years ago, if I remember correctly it came with the bearing, the clutch outter thing with 6 holes in it, and the long rod that goes through the motor. Make sure you clutch cable is adjusted right.

bushwacker51
03-12-2004, 12:13 PM
Finally figured it out. It was the clutch. I put the old clutch back in the new basket because the hinson clutch basket instructions said not to run a kevlar cluch which is what I bought to replace the old clutch. that is why I attempted to run the old clutch. Put a new clutch in and it runs like a champ. I want to thank everyone for their help. Glenn Oister

X2guy
04-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Hey bushwacker51. I'm going to upgrade my 86R as well. Is there a kit you can buy or do you just buy the OEM bearing and the little pusher piece.
Thanks

RichinMO
04-08-2005, 03:04 PM
It's an actual kit that you buy from Honda. Part #06220-HB2-305. Comes with new pushrod, thrust bearing, and pressure plate.