PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Tech Please Help! Caution new project

12-12-2002, 12:09 AM
I am so mad right now I'm about to explode! Given to me through family friends this 1984 Yamaha 225DX has been sitting for about 2 years. I have put a new battery on the unit and can not even get the light to come on when it is in neutral. I purchased a service manuel from my local yamaha dealer and some of the electrial system testing is confusing to me. I can't afford a yamaha dealer to fix is problem. I just thought that there was surely someone out their that could help me fix this thing. What needs to be tested first? Is there a order in which this problem can be easily fixed? All the wiring is hooked up. Everything looks to be in good shape. I put the unit in neutral, turn the key on and absolutly nothing? Looking at this yamaha service manuel is the confusing me. Help me doctor tech!!!! :twisted:

Macs
12-12-2002, 12:33 AM
well i could help you if i could see it were are you located. would you be intrested in selling, thank you.

skippy
12-12-2002, 01:33 AM
is it in gear? did you run thru all of the wire connections... ?

12-12-2002, 01:58 AM
is it in gear? did you run thru all of the wire connections... ?It's not in gear and I checked all the wire connections everthing is hooked up.

12-12-2002, 02:04 AM
well i could help you if i could see it were are you located. would you be intrested in selling, thank you.minco, oklahoma and not interested in selling

Fatso
12-12-2002, 03:02 AM
do you need a neutral light?

does it run at all?
any fire gettin' to the plug?
maybe the lights just burnt out..
start at the beginning, is the battery hooked up good?
got a good ground on the frame?
got any in line fuses that might be blown?
maybe the switch is bad, have you tried hot wiring it yet?

12-12-2002, 09:35 AM

does it run at all?
any fire gettin' to the plug?
maybe the lights just burnt out..
start at the beginning, is the battery hooked up good?
got a good ground on the frame?
got any in line fuses that might be blown?
maybe the switch is bad, have you tried hot wiring it yet?
I'll check it out and get back with you later.

Howdy
12-12-2002, 10:39 AM
My money is on a bad wire connection or bad fuse ( if your sure it it's in netral ).
Howdy

TimSr
12-12-2002, 12:18 PM
Im sure you have gotten beyond this, but did you charge the battery, and do you know that its good?

plkmonster2
12-12-2002, 11:45 PM
I HAVE A 225 DR, FIRST, OOPS CAPS there is a little black thing by the gas tank when you take off the seat, there is a fuse in there. also, you may have to get a new neutral switch (under the engine), please email me at plkx7@aol.com or im me at plkracer

12-13-2002, 12:48 AM

does it run at all? Does not run
any fire gettin' to the plug? No fire to the plug
maybe the lights just burnt out.. Does not seem to be burnt out
start at the beginning, is the battery hooked up good? Yes
got a good ground on the frame? Yes
got any in line fuses that might be blown? 10 amp fuses arn't burned or cut
maybe the switch is bad, have you tried hot wiring it yet? What's the best way to hot wire the thing?
I'll check it out and get back with you later.

12-13-2002, 12:52 AM
My money is on a bad wire connection or bad fuse ( if your sure it it's in netral ).
Howdy How do you go about finding the bad wire? Also, can a fuse be bad even if it looks okey? Is a 10 fuse the right size?

12-13-2002, 12:55 AM
Im sure you have gotten beyond this, but did you charge the battery, and do you know that its good?The volt meter read 12.45 volts. I ordered a new battery today.

12-13-2002, 12:58 AM
I HAVE A 225 DR, FIRST, OOPS CAPS there is a little black thing by the gas tank when you take off the seat, there is a fuse in there. also, you may have to get a new neutral switch (under the engine), please email me at plkx7@aol.com or im me at plkracerGreat idea! I check it out.

okoutboard
12-13-2002, 01:10 AM
I really appreciate everyones thoughts and opinions. I will continue to work on the yamaha 225dx. I grow up with one of these things and would really like to ride it, if I can get this thing to run. I'm tried of riding it in my garage. Thanks again, Oklahomaoutboard

plkmonster2
12-13-2002, 01:59 AM
i bet it's the fuse because mine was split in half. the metal came off the glass. also, a car battery will blow it

Dirtcrasher
12-14-2002, 02:48 PM
What type of trouble are you having with wiring diagrahms? That same voltage your reading should be present at alot of different connections. An Ohms test can help find bad switches or broken wires, Maybe if you mention why it's confusing to you someone can help explain it to you. Even if it isn't the problem don't be satisfied just getting it running as someday you will need electrical troubleshooting skills. I couldn't go one day without some wiring skills.

Dynofox
12-14-2002, 08:21 PM
The light doesn't come on when you just turn the key on. I have the exact same machine and the head light is only on when it is running. If you ment the neutral light, does it really matter if this light is on, it doesn't matter if it goes out.